• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kr7a-133 Cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mickopla

Registered
i'm running an Athlon XP 1600+ on this board at the moment. I want to update the processor but in the manual it says the fastest it can run is the Athlon XP 2000+ which is not much of a step up. I was wondering maybe with a bios update would this allow me to run a faster CPU than the 2000+. If so what how fast can i go?tia

You can run any cpu you want to, just not as fast as you might like. Everything depends on how fast your front side bus can go, and weather you can change your multipliers.

Amd has started to lock the multipliers on their chips now, so if the 133 in the name of the board implies that you can only do a 133 fsb, you are best to get a procesor ment for a 133 fsb.

I think that the mobile XP's use a 133 fsb, and they have unlocked multipliers, so getting one of these is probably your best option.

If you were to get a 2500+Mobile, you could run it at a 133 or higher fsb, with the multiplier of your choise if your board can change the multipliers, and then if you ever get a new motherboard, you can lower the multiplier and keep using the same chip.

I think i'm out of luck with the Mobile XP you mentioned above because i checked the AMD website and i says they run on a 266mhz or 200mhz FSB. Pity because it would have been a good option. Looks like i'm gonna be limited to what upgrade i can get.

nope, your GOLD!!!

I think the 200 or 266 frons side buss they are refering to are DDR rates.

The 266 DDR rate is an actual front side bus speed of 133 mhz, multiplied by the AMD marketing bull**** number of 2. (well, not quite, but essentially)

So if your chipset can do a 100 or 133 FSB (200 or 266 DDR rate) you are set :thup:

Thats good news Matt. What settings do u think i have to change to get this CPU to run at the max speed on my system. Is it the multiplier at 17 or so and the FSB to stay at 133mhz???

bump

Updated the bios to my motherboard and looking at the multiplier settings in there the max option i am getting is "over 13". I will wanna go alot higher than that at 17 or more. Should SoftMenu be giving me higher multiplier rates as an option???

I'm not sure whether id be able to mod the chip like that. Its a bit risky. Might just try to up the FSB to 166 and use the highest mutiplier avaliable. thanks for the advice bleagh.

Back