• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memtest86+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IceCoolJay

Registered
Okay, first of all i have Corsair Twinx 4000 1GB ram modules(DDR500). I have been running my system @ 262 FSB (1:1 CPU/Mem ratio) prime stable and thought i should give memtest a go to see if my ram is completely stable. I ran it overnight. When i got up it had looped 78 times without a single error. Can i assume my ram is stable @ 262 FSB? or are there other tests out there that can determine memory stability besides memtest86+ and prime95.

Thanks

The RAM is most likely stable since that many loops and no errors=good. Run Prime95 as well as it is more of a CPU stress test to test the CPU as well as a memory test. So run that too to be absolutely sure BUT I am fairly confident that you're fine :D. Nice FSB

LINKAGE TO PRIME95

/cheers :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

I think with 76 loops you should feel pretty confident in the memory timings and settings, unless a full CPU and graphics load heats your system too much or causes your voltages to sag. The memtest diagnostics really don't tax your CPU and your PSU all that much, so those could be additional variables. I'd take the outcome to mean that the memory, in and of itself, won't cause you problems, so long as conditions remain as in the test. (i.e., good power supply and not too much heat).

Prime95 ought to be another good test. Running single WU of folding would also work well. (For team 32, of course. ;)) -- Paul

My system @ 262 FSB (1:1 CPU/MEM ratio) is Prime stable. That's the first test i used to determine if my overclock was stable. I was just a bit scared about the ram because not many people have gone beyond 255FSB using 1:1 CPU/MEM ratio with the same ram i have without getting errors in memtest.

Ah. That's a very prudent approach. :) It sounds like you have some fantastic memory there!! What's your voltage? -- Paul

2.8V...I have a IC7 motherboard so thats the max.

I think the max voltage recommended by corsair is 2.9V though.

Thanks for the post.

That's quite a good result for that voltage. I have Kingmax PC3500 that's rated for 2.5V-2.7V, and IIRC, I've ended up running at about the same voltage as you to get stability at a much lower FSB.

Looks like the memory gods smiled on you when you bought your memory. ;) -- Paul

LOL...

i might try 265FSB. Thats really pushing it. If my ram doesnt fail at that speed my CPU probably will. :)

I tried 265FSB straight away...got errors after 10 mins....

Tried 264FSB...error after 30 mins

tried 263FSB...no errors for 1hr 30 mins...then i stopped it cause i had to do something...

oh well, i guess 263 is still awesome...it's still rated higher then 4200 ram when running 1:1 cpu/mem ratio.

Wish i could up the voltage, but i cant...2.8V is the max on an IC7 board and im not willing to perform a volt mod on it...Had a bad volt modding experience not so long ago :p . I probably could have got her stable @ 265 with 2.9V however

Back