• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memtest86 errors, help a newb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fugue

Registered
Hello,

This is my first time posting. So go easy on me. :)

First, Here are my specifics:

Board: Abit IC7
Processor: Intel 2.4b
Ram: Single 512mb stick of Kingston PC3500
DRAM ratio: 4:5
fsb: 156
AGP Ratio: Fixed
vcore: 1.60v
vdimm: 2.8v
timings: 2-7-7-3

I'm using Memtest86 3.1a. At 156 fsb I get no errors. But if I bump the fsb to 157 I get a bunch of them. I looked at the memory sticky and some other posts and tried different timings from the stock 2-7-7-3... but I didn't have any success. Sorry for the newbie question but, what can I do to get pas this wall?

Thanks so much!

Fugue

It seems like you have a bad stick of RAM. Call Kingston and talk to their techsupport, worst that could happen is you RMA fora new stick of RAM. Your stick should run 200 FSB minimum.Just my $0.02

Thanks for replying so fast Tatuya!

I was worried about that... so I changed my DRAM ratio to 1:1 and I still got errors even with the memory running at 156mHz!

Do you know what I can be doing wrong?

Thanks again,

Fugue

Like I said, call Kingston or wait for someone who knows kingston type RAM. I would try going easier on the ram maybe. It seriously is underperforming though so I would have to say that it is defective. Try Kingston Techsupport, they are pretty **** cool.

ADDED: NP about the response time, I hated getting the same problems, thus I am currently RMAing my RAM.

I will try that (I just emailed their support but I'll call them if they aren't helpful). Thank you for the number!

In the meantime, I welcome any users with similar configurations (ic7/kingston pc3500) that have run into similar troubles or haven't had any to post!

Fugue

Ok I think I figured it out...

and I'm pretty sure it's the psu that came with my case. It turns out if I up the vcore to 1.65v and the vdimm to 2.7v I get no memory errors. I didn't think I'd have to go this high for such a modest fsb (157) with the abit board... I'm thinking if I get a nicer psu I could drop the voltage..? Any comments on that would be great.

And the kingston people are VERY nice. I got an email response the next day and it seemed like a real human. :)

Thanks for all your help Tatuya!

Fugue

Umm... not sure if this will help in your case, but my 2nd rig is still running Kinston KHX3500/512 x2. However, it is running a P4C 2.8 running 1:1 I can't go beyon FSB=218, I normally run it at 5:4 to push the [email protected].

Was the above post correct in your DRAM 4:5? 4(CPU): 5(Memory)?
If so w/ FSB=157 cpu=2.82Ghz Memory = 196FSB.
Memory should still have been fine at 2.5-7-3-3. My second set of KHX3500 x2 in rig3 also hits the wall at 220FSB.

You may simply have hit the limit w/ your 2.4B. If you have another 2.4c or 2.xC, you can easily check your memory at 1:1 at FSB=200 and rule out the CPU.

Back