• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will a TEC help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

murdok5

im looking to go watercooling soon. I have to wait until summer break when i have the time/money to do waht i plan.

anyways.....i have a 3.4EE which produces the most heat a processor can :(

so i will watercool the CPU NB adn GPU. im nto too concerned with the other 2...jsut CPU

i will have 2 Powersupplies....one trupower450 and another...
(not sure waht yet)

i have no idea how TEC works....my main concern is will i get better temps if i get a waterblock with it?

if i do....what would i need to changeto add a TEC to a standard WC setup.

thanks

Mike

For one, you need a powersupply that can handle the TEC . Also you will need a cold plate to seperate the TEC from the proc.

For the TEC itself 226W+ also, you need insulation around the socket and silicon grease in the socket itself to prevent severe condensation. Your temps will be better depending on how much stress the TEC is under, but if you can find a high enough TEC, I would say 15-30ish temp drop.

is that in C? i would use this 430 watt for that ....and maybe get another 430 fo rhte rest of system, fans, lighting, pumps.

where can i find a good place to read about the setup process? i was looking into getting a waterblock with a TEC in it...liek the swiftech. what more would i need to do?

Mike

if you got a pre designed setup like the swiftech thing (dont forget the MB gaskets for insulation) you would only really need to follow instructions. If you get a pelt, which would have to be a 226w one, you'll need about 22a on the 12v line. Search ebay, post a wanted add, but it's definately a good move to get an independent meanwell or something like it. If you do end up getting a pc psu, be sure to but some load (like a fan or something) on the 5V rail or else it will severely damage your psu over time.

Also, make sure your rad is big enough to handle it, no 80mm crap rads here, it needs to be at least the size of a regular 1x120mm fitting heatercore. If you need any help, feel free to PM me. I have a 226w Maze2-2(modded for 1) setup right now with my sig stats, 2.08v running through my cpu, and those are my temps. Basically temperature and wattage output are not a factor with a good TEC setup.

DD Maze 4-1s are also nice, but you have to pay +20 for the proper insulation.

get the meanwell 12v 320w supply, they can be varied from 9.2v to 13.5v. they also handle up to 25A's

with a 125w cpu (amd) i see around room temperature.
i use about 4 litre res and a dual core radiator (2x120 fans)
i only see 4 degs rise in h20 temps above room temperature.

if you live in a cold area you can place the res and radiator outside and you will see a temperature drop also.

waht if i got another antec trupower430? that would be for fans, lights and TEC only....rest of system on the other.

that would handle a 226watt TEC right?

It definately would NOT handle a 226W TEC. At 12V it'll probably draw 20-21amps. The antec would just overload. You need an independent or something with at least 22amps just for the TEC, 24 if you're going to run anything else on the 12v line.

If you get an independent meanwell, you can cut and hook up a strand of PSU wire with molex connectors on it and connect some fans that you want @ 12v, just don't put too many and get the model that gives 25amps on the 12v line.

There is no such thing as having too much headroom on a power supply.

yeha....i was looking at teh antec trupower 550.....it says +12V@24A.

if that is not good enough can i get a suggestion that would handle it as well as around 4 case fans?
dont want to spend more than 100.

Mike

i was looking for something more attractive maybe?

im going for function and looks, and want to fit in the case.

i wish they had some stickies in this section about how-to's....and soem pics.....

it will work okay right?
adn shouldnt i want to run it at like 80% of the voltage? i read thats what people do casue if any higher, too much heat output

the default voltage for the pelt will probably be 15.8v like most, read the listing of the one you plan to buy.

Back