• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just ordered Mobile 2600+, Abit NF7-S V2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

qsda

Just ordered these 2 components for my 2nd pc project...what are your experiences with them? Hopefully it is as good as I've read.
As far as oc-ing lightly, with sp97 and 50cfm fan, how far could I go?
From your experiences, is the mobo stable, reliable, and easy for installing?
Is there anything that you guys would like to suggest or warn etc?

Thanks a lot.

Oh yeah, 1st time using mobile cpu, any problems with using WinXP Pro and other Apps? especially graphics apps.

There is no difference between mobile and desktop CPU in performance.

Haven't used that hardware to give any further comment. :-/

That is the same set-up that I have. I am only using a crappy 80mm fan on the HS with another as an exhaust. So my cooling isnt the greatest but my OC isnt bad. Our heat was turned of so the ambient temp was pretty cool. You should get some pretty good results with that cooling. What kind of RAM do you plan on using?

I think you'll have fun and be amazed at the OC you get with that CPU.

I prefer to run my Mobile CPU at just over 2200Mhz at the lowest voltage my MB can supply (1.575v). I get the same performance as a stock 3200+ and my temps are great!

That is the same setup I want to build....God I need graduation to come so I can have some money and then be broke again when the fall comes around and grad school begins...lol

what? 1.575v and you get 3200+ speeds? wow, why couldnt they make the desktop cpus like that?

well i got 1gb corsair xms dual sticks.

I am running a 2600 mobile and NF7-S rev 2.0...if you can not get past 220 or so stable...do the L12 wire mod trick...it let me achieve up to 260FSB after the wire mod...not stable...PC3200 value ram and 2.9 isnt very stable for long at 260FSB ;)...now if you can hit high FSB speeds (230+)...then the wire trick might now help...

Also...my 2600 can do 2.2Ghz on default voltage...1.45v...the 2600 is 2Ghz stock...so 2.2 can be done on default voltage...but it seems like 2.6 to 2.7 is about the average on most 2600's...

same setup as i've got :p

2.45 @ 1.725v
2.55 @ 1.8v
2.6 @ 1.95

of course, i am using very mid-range cooling - alx-800 with tornado @ 3300 rpm (quite-like :p).

there's no problems as far as windows and apps are concerned - works just as well as a reg. barton. don't get discuraged by "unknown cpu message" when booting up - on this m/b it gives it even with a proper barton when you o/c it out of specs.

before installing m/b in the case, remove northbridge h/s and re-apply the grease. if you can, get one of the vantec round heatsinks for the n/b, they are no more then $10 and fit on nf7s. that might help you get to higher fps with less trouble. check it here:

http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?5.255

also, check on the proper ways of applying thermal grease here:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

i didn't bother the first time around :p ; redone it and got a nice 3C drop.

btw, what memory are you getting?

Last edited:
mcoleg said:

2.45 @ 1.725v
2.55 @ 1.8v
2.6 @ 1.95

What is your stepping?

*EDIT - Never mind...seen it in your sig...exact same stepping as my 2600*

1.95v seems like a lot at 2.6Ghz...

(This is with a full load running)

Voltage.JPG

the cooling is very small-time, i guess that's why. the higher the temps, the more juice you have to throw at it... catch 22, really.

what you using?

not bad...

i was thinking to get one of slk-9**, pretty much sure could get to 2.6 at lower voltage with those but got a new psu instead for now.

btw, mine is IQYHA 0348 SPMW. i remember reading something about SPMW's needing a bit more voltage than other IQYHA 2600's.

mcoleg said:
don't get discuraged by "unknown cpu message" when booting up - on this m/b it gives it even with a proper barton when you o/c it out of specs.

it comes up everytime pc boots?

it showes the frequency to which you set the CPU and than the message. Now, ones again, nothing to worry about, it happens every time you use manual settings for the cpu on nf7s, with mobile or regular cpus alike. there's been some discutions in the past about it, ppl checked and rechecked whether it's bad or not, did tons of benchmarks; the conclusion - there's no problem whatsoever.

don't worry, you've bet on a winner here. i am yet to see a 2600m that won't do 2.4GH with only a concervative voltage bump; unlike 2400s and 2500s that are not really guarantied. as a matter of fact, i remember tons of posts when 2400s would top out at 2.4. so do some 2500s. of course, some few lucky 2500m's can go much higher but what are the chances of getting one of those? and believe you me, 2.4GHz on barton core is way fast... i was amazed how fast all my games were running, and i have only ti200 for a video on this putter :p .

oh ok thanks. i thought it was like an error message that i have to click something to continue the boot.

qsda said:
what? 1.575v and you get 3200+ speeds? wow, why couldnt they make the desktop cpus like that?

well i got 1gb corsair xms dual sticks.

hell, my does 2.2Ghz @ 1.45v. But it cant even do 2.6 @ 2.1v, its going back to newegg. unless someone here wants it?

mcoleg said:
not bad...

i was thinking to get one of slk-9**, pretty much sure could get to 2.6 at lower voltage with those but got a new psu instead for now.

btw, mine is IQYHA 0348 SPMW. i remember reading something about SPMW's needing a bit more voltage than other IQYHA 2600's.

Actually its better to get a better PSU first with these mobiles...mine is killing my Tt, litterly...I have had my 2600 at 2.8Ghz...but windows crashed like 2 minutes into it...just enough time for me to see my +12 rail hit 11.48...whats weird is, I can put my Tbred or Pally in and run the core voltage at over 2v's and my +12 rails wont drop below 11.89...so my next venture is a new PSU...not going cheap this time either...PC Cooling...

As for my stepping...it is the IQYHA 0348 XPMW

Gogeta_G3D said:
hell, my does 2.2Ghz @ 1.45v. But it cant even do 2.6 @ 2.1v, its going back to newegg. unless someone here wants it?

Check your +12 rails before stating its the CPU...you could be running into the same issue as me...if your rails are too low...no matter how much core voltage you put through the CPU it wont be stable...

glock19owner said:

Actually its better to get a better PSU first with these mobiles...mine is killing my Tt, litterly...I have had my 2600 at 2.8Ghz...but windows crashed like 2 minutes into it...just enough time for me to see my +12 rail hit 11.48...whats weird is, I can put my Tbred or Pally in and run the core voltage at over 2v's and my +12 rails wont drop below 11.89...so my next venture is a new PSU...not going cheap this time either...PC Cooling...

As for my stepping...it is the IQYHA 0348 XPMW

Check your +12 rails before stating its the CPU...you could be running into the same issue as me...if your rails are too low...no matter how much core voltage you put through the CPU it wont be stable...

at 2v , 13.5x200, it shows 11.67-11.73 in bios. do you have any idea what sort of reading might it show under windows, guess I guess.

alos, i can do 5x133 @ 2.1 and rail will be 11.62 in bios, but right now it shows 11.86 in sandra. why the difference?

also, why is system stable @ 2.1v, 5x133 and not @ 2v, 13.5x200?

Back