• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with getting Dual-Channel mode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alnorth

Registered
Mobo: MSI PT880 Neo-LSR
CPU: P4 2.4c (HT enabled, mildly overclocked so far)

Memory: 2x 256MB of that Komusa a-data PC4200 memory

I have tried installing the memory according to the manual into slots 1 & 3, and I tried 2 & 4. neither seems to work, according to CPU-Z:

memory.jpg

This means that my memory is not running in dual-channel right? I've checked the memory settings in BIOS, I have tried setting it to auto, and I've tried specifying dual-channel but no matter what, I cant get CPU-Z to tell me that im in dual-channel. I even tried upping the VDIMM to 2.7V and that didnt do anything (but will probably help with overclocking later)

I was also having problems with getting HT to work on the CPU, but after re-installing windows XP it started working. However, that didnt do anything for my dual channel problem.

Ideas? Tips?

Are you sure you placed ram into the right slots? That could prevent it from running in dual channel.

Not sure of your slot numbers...but on Intel MB's...DC should be every other channel...so if slots 1 & 3 is side by side...then that would not be dual channel...

try running sisoft sandra mem bench. If your mem scores are around 5k then your in dual channel. if there like 3k then your not in dual channel and you should check your slot orientation.

Not sure of your slot numbers...but on Intel MB's...DC should be every other channel...so if slots 1 & 3 is side by side...then that would not be dual channel...

Nope, they arent side by side. Slots 1 and 2 are green-colored next to each other, and slots 3&4 are purple next to each other. Manual said to get dual channel, you need one in each color, specifically 2&4, or 1&3. No matter what I do though, CPU-Z keeps telling me im in single-channel.

try running sisoft sandra mem bench. If your mem scores are around 5k then your in dual channel. if there like 3k then your not in dual channel and you should check your slot orientation.

Interesting... I actually did run Sandra last night before posting, because I kept hearing it was a good test to run. I'm at school, but I KNOW that last night, my memory score got up somewhere in the 5,000's on Sandra. Is it possible to hit that score in single-channel mode with a P4 2.4 (o/c'd to 2.6 so far) and 512MB of memory, or does mid-5,000 definitely mean that I would have to be in dual-channel regardless of what CPU-Z says?

Could CPU-Z be wrong and not notice im in dual-channel? Is there another program aside from CPU-Z I can check with to get a second opinion?

I think what I will do, is I will re-check my Sandra score tonight, and then I'll go into BIOS, force it to run in single channel, and see if my Sandra score takes a dive. If there's a huge difference, I'll just assume that my dual-channel is working fine and CPU-Z is lying to me.

yeah your in dual channel. there is no possible way to hit 5k in single channel. Well at least not at the Oc your running. You'd have to running in the area of 330fsb to even be relatively close to 5k in single channel. So based on that I'd say cpu-z is just incorrectly recognizing your board. Try updating the software or just ignore it.

thanks. I'll do that quick little test anyway and see if forceing single-channel makes my Sandra score take a nose-dive just to satisfy curiousity. I spent at least a couple hours last night switching the memory to different slots, clearing CMOS, playing with BIOS settings, and searching the internet for help, when it turns out that CPU-Z might just simply be lying to me in the first place. I just assumed CPU-Z would be correct.

Back