• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP1800 Won't Overclock much

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

H2

I can only get to 144FSB or 1566 mhz with my XP1800 processor.
It seems like every one is much higher than me. Can someone tell me if I am making some obvious mistakes or if this is normal overclocking for this XP1800.

NF7-S
XP1800
cheap PC2100 ram 2 sticks of 256 in Dual channel
Nvidia 5950 Ultra
XP Pro
Exos Water cooler with CPU 300 cooler Koolance

Room is 23C
CPU Waterblock is 34C under Prime 95 load
Bios says the CPU is 59.5C but I think isn't accurate

Running 2.1volts on CPU core
2.9volts on Dram
1.7 volts on AGP
1.7volts on chipset
Memory timing is set to Turbo

I have tried running the memory divider at 6/5 to see if the memory is dying but it seems no better.

I am super stable now but if I back the CPU voltage of even to 2.0 volts prime will lock up in less than 30 minutes.

Thanks for any help in this, I am a new member to the forum but have been reading it for years.
If this is just a very poor chip, I was thinking of trying a Mobile XP2500.

i think this is your ram it rated at pc 2100 133mhz holding u back if the 1800+ is unlocked try to set higher multiplicator with lower fsb 133mhz
or give your memory some volt and test it with memtest.

What makaka said is probably the best. If you don't mind spending a little bit of cash, you could go and get yourself a piece of 2700 or 3200 ram. 2700 should get you into the high 180's/90's and 3200 should get you past 210 and into the range everyone else is.

Also, what revision is your nf7-s? Have you upgraded to the latest chipset drivers? Have you tried 1.5 chipset volts (some people have hit notoriously high fsbs with stock or lower volts on the northie)? Have you tried single chanenl instead dual channel?

In addition to this, try mem timings 2.5-3-3-11 in bios and set agpv to 1.8(this has helped some people).

I would strongly advice against anything but 1/1 fsb/ram ratio. If you are desperate, you can use it I guess. Also post your steppings on the cpu. That will help a lot.

Something doesn't add up. Maybe you made a typo with the speed but the 1800 default is 1533 (11.5 x 133). If you are at 144 that's 1656. I'm betting this is a pally that won't do any more, and also, you're not running at 34 deg with an Exos cooling 2.1 volts. The 59.5 deg in the bios is probably accurate.

What is the stepping code of your CPU???????

I see 2 problems here.

(1) Your CPU: It is either a palomino core, or an A core. You won't get too far in your overclock.

(2) Your memory: Every overclockers know that if order to get good overclock in the FSB, you need to have good ram. You are using cheap PC2100 ram.

My advice is that you definitely have to change your memory. As for your CPU, post its stepping code and we can see if you need to change that or not.

XP1800 Won't overclock well

Thanks for the much needed help guys.
I did make a mistake, sorry the total mhz is 1656 not 1556.

The stepping is Family 6-7 Model 6-6 Stepping 0-2 standard-2 extended

This is what my WCPUID says. I don't understand stepping other than I hear guys says certain stepping is better, but I'm not sure why.

I have some PC 2700 ram in my other computer I can take out and try to see if that helps.

I'll try the ram timings of 2.5-3-3-11 also

I am pretty sure my multiplyer is locked but I will check that again.
I believe my MB is revision 2.0 and as of 2 weeks ago I had the latest chipset drivers.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I'll get to work on these Ideas you guys gave me and report back. Thanks

I tried the PC2700 ram I had and set the mem timing loose at 2.5-3-3-11 and boosted the AGP volts to 1.8 but Prime still locked up at the usuall 146 FSB speed. 144 FSB is rock stable. So I think the ram isn't holding me back.
Can you tell from my WCPUID if this XP1800 chip is just a bad overclocker.
Stepping is 0-2-2 I'm not sure which number your looking for.
My Multipler is for sure locked.

Do you guys think the XP2500 Mobil or the XP2800 Barton would be a better choice for me with this motherboard.
I really don't want to spend more than $200.00 or so untill late this year when I think lots of new hardware might be around.
Thanks for the help guys.

Amd is now locking the multipliers on all their chips except for the 64-FX and mobile.

Because if this I wouldn't recomend the 2800+ with the 12.5 multiplier. You would be much better of with the 2500+ Mobile.

If I buy a Mobil XP2500 and run a speed of say 175fsb I think it will put my PCI speed at 43.75mhz and I think thats not good.

Should I then use my ram divider to say 6/5 to get my PCI speed to 36mhz? or am I confused. Maybe the divider only sets the ram speed and has no effect on my PCI bus speed.

I'm using a NF7-S rev 2

You can lock the agp/pci on the NF7 and run whatever fsb you'd like.

*edit* Also the stepping people are talking about can only be found on the cpu itself.

NF7-S motherboard

I see on my Soft Menu III where the AGP frequency is set at 66mhz just below the CPU multiplyer. It says the Min is 66 and max is 99. Key in a DEC number. If I put in like 70 does that mean the AGP is then locked at 70mhz? I just want to be carefull not to cause a big problem I'm not aware of.
I don't see anywhere the PCI frequency is locked or you adjust it. Is it just tied to 1/2 of the AGP frequency.

One last question and I'll stop bugging you.
I'm just about ready to order a Mobil XP2600 from Newegg, do you have any better suggestions for me. The Mobil XP2400 only saves $19.00 but if they are totally the same then I'll get the Mobil XP2400.

Thanks for the help very much. I have been battleing this XP1800 with air and water for 3 months and now have figured out it's never going to do well no matter what.
Thanks

makaka said:
i think this is your ram it rated at pc 2100 133mhz holding u back if the 1800+ is unlocked try to set higher multiplicator with lower fsb 133mhz
or give your memory some volt and test it with memtest.

Yeah, your RAM sounds kinda puny.

***WARNING: DO NOT ALTER THE AGP OR PCI BUS FREQUENCIES THROUGH THE BIOS!*** Leave them at PCI 33 and AGP 66 or perhipheral device damage may result.

AFAIR the NF7-S has a PCI lock. What that does is it locks the PCI and AGP busses, normally obtained by doing some math with the system bus clock, at 33 and 66 MHz respectively. Otherwise your perhipheral devices will be the worse for wear... :(

After reading the thread a second time I do believe you hit the wall and can't push it any further.

The Mobile 2500 seems to be the best bet for your overclocking desires. Click here for the thread about the mobiles as this contains a wealth of information.

Good luck :cool:

yeah, the ram does play a part in this poor overclock, but i think your core is either a palomino or tbred A. the reason why we are asking for the stepping is to verify what kind of core you have. you cant detect the stepping through a 3rd party program. the way you detect it is reading it off of the actual cpu. theres usually a black label that has the stepping on it. i believe of palominos tho its on the core. the mobile barton should be better than the 2800xp but its really luck of the draw. also if you plan to get a new cpu remember that your pc2100 will not take you very far.

Back