• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking But Getting Wierd Noises?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadM0nk3yyy

Registered
First Ill post my system, AMD 3000+ 400fsb Barton, ASUS A7n8x-e Deluxe, Cooled by a TT Volcano 12 with AS5, 512 mb Corsair XMS pc 3200 Ram timings 2-3-3-6. Ram voltage 2.6, ATI 9800 pro w/ vga silencer OC`ed to 420/360, 380 watt ANTEC trupower pw supply.

I am pretty new to overclocking. I kno the basics but not the meat of it. K I have my FSB at 200 which is default for my 3000+ and the multiplier is at 10.5, The Vcore is at 1.696 right now. When I try increasing the FSB to 205 or 210 and start running 3dmark2001 in a loop my comp will crash. So I increased the Ram voltage to 2.7 and now I can run the benchmark without it crashing. Now when Im playing games I will get very staticy sound coming from who knows where playing in my headphones.

Also I noticed some low power levels. My 12v is at 11.968, my 5v is at 4.865, and my 3.3v is at 3.232.
Please help me as I do want to overclock it to its full extent. I thought I should need faster ram, but if you have any suggestions to get this as far as it will go with my current set up please mention it =). I love OC forums.

Patrick

If you get cracks it's your sound card, but
1. It may be the Sound Card drivers
2. It may be the PCI slot where the sound card is placed.
3. It may be the sound card itself.

Try taking the sound card out and using onboard sound and see if the problem goes away. Most nForce2s have quality onboard audio.

Either way try to do exact same things at default speeds to see if the crackling goes away when your system is not overclocked.

This has been reported as one of the side effects of overclocking but many times it's not related to OCing so, test it at default speeds and see.

When the system is at default speeds no staticy sound will occur. I dont wanna go with the Nforce Sound because I got myself a quality sound card.

Can we not talk about the nforce anymore.. I have a SB Audigy 2 with my logitech z-560 speakers and sennhesier HD570s which outperforms the nforce. I just wanna know about my overclocking issue.

IT doesn't make the noise when its at default speeds. And It did crash once while trying to run UT2004 with 10 bots.

I heard where people put heatsinks on their south bridge it helped with noise in the sound. touch your southbridge when your running a benchmark or playing games. I think playing games will be better, cause it will work the SB more. Anyways, carefully touch it (and only it) and see if it is too hot. If you cant hold your finger on it, it is too hot, and it would love to have a heatsink on it :)

What exactly does the SB look like on the Motherboard? And While I add a heatsink to it should I change my NB heatsink also?

I have a non deluxe A7N8X and before I places a HSF on it, it was so hot you could fry an egg on it and I was getting crackly sounds...

it might be it

Attached is a picture of your mobo with the SB circled. Heatsink that guy. For heatsinks, you can find them almost anywhere, look for ram sinks if you want to buy retail.

You can get some cheap heatsinks here: Look under 'Other' or go under Zalman, get yourself a new northbridge, and take your old NB and cover your SB with it. http://www.bestbyte.net/Category.cfm?CategoryID=6&Keyword=

Another idea is to find a old heatsink, and cut it up. I used a 5 dollar (yes 5 dollar, on sale :p ) knockoff of a dremel, and cut one up that I will be using for mosfets possibly. Most old heatsinks cut up easily, they use soft metals.

Bestbyte also sells some double sided thermal tape. Not sure how good it works, but if you dont wanna epoxy, its one of the possible solutions. Also I heard you can put a dot of super glue on the corners, and thermal paste in the middle. Never tried any of these, so don't count them against me.

Good luck with that.:p

Attachments

• asus a7n8x-e deluxe.jpg
    asus a7n8x-e deluxe.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 77
yah its definitely the southbridge overheating

i got that too sometimes before i put a heatsink on the southbridge

I have my 9800 pro there with a VGA silencer on it. It doesn't look like I have enough space for the old NB heatsink. Plus I see it says Nforce. Does this only apply if Im using onboard sound? because im using my SB audigy 2. Thx for help.

I need a heatsink that is shorter then 3/4's of an inch because the VGA silencer is in the way.

What about the OCZ bga ramsinks? that are meant for the VGA ram. Will that work? and is the height 9mm or 13mm? How many mm to the inch? Thx for help

Any heatsink will do. 9mm = .3537 inch 13mm = .5109inch 16mm = .6288inch. Im not sure what the OCZ is itself, but im guessing they measured length X width X height. Thats my guess

i have a southsink from microcool. the thermal tape sucks ***.
grab a tube of alumina epoxy if you dont mind not removing it later. depends on your card choice later. if you need a card to go in a certain slot you might have to cut a few fins down first. better to be safe than sorry after you epoxy something in place. also, a friend of mine said he used as3 in the middle and only used epoxy around the corners. said this helped with removal, and since the southbridge surface area is pretty big compared to its heat it isnt a big deal if certain parts arent perfectly covered.

its no big deal to cut a sink down to size with a hacksaw or dremel, they are so cheap it really wont change heat capacity either.

anyhow, the tape sucks rocks. my mosfet sinks and **** were falling off even though i roughed up the surface of the mosfets and cleaned the surface with alcohol and dried it. then i applied pressure during a heat cycle hoping they would stay... they hold themselves, but if i bump them, they fall off. im waiting for my tube of epoxy to arrive.. :/

Back