• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 3.3V too much for good ol' CH5!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadInsane

Hey, I need some help from some people that own ch5 chips. Is 3.3v too much? Anyone been running a high fsb with ch5 for over a year or more? Should I worry about the heat generating from my chips? (they have heat spreaders, and a fan blowing air in their vicinity) Or just crank this sucker up to 250fsb *drool*
at 225 stable with 3.1v right now.....I've heard conflicting reports about this memory, I'd like to hear some personal opinions with people that actuallly own ch5.

It's definatly pushing it... I would allready make sure to have very good ventilation on bh-5 chips if I was running 3.3v through it. Ch-5 is made on a smaller process, so theoretically it should be even more sensitive to voltage.

If you run alot of cool air over it you might not kill it right away, but I'm pretty sure the life expectancy will fall dramatically.

Hmmm Ok, anyways, Let's hear from some people who actually HAVE some ch5 running 24/7 at 3.3v. I have heard of lots of people with no probs doing this.....Please give me some hope.... lol

I seem to recall reading that CH-5s have some kind of voltage relay that kicks in after like 2.8 or 2.9v or something? Which makes it so that if you put more voltage in, it just gets dissipated away so the ICs don't burn out.... That's what I heard anyways... So more than 2.8 or 2.9v is useless with CH-5. That's what I heard though, in more than one place. I have no idea if this is possible.

And now that another person who doesn't actually have ch-5's has replied...

I had some KHX 3500 with CH-5. It sucked and hated voltage. Anything over 2.8v and it would error like mad at any timings over 215FSB.

Sounds like yours is doing pretty good. There are a few people over at whats left of XS who ran CH-5 at high v close to 250 FSB 1:1, so it is possible it seems.

I'll be able to tell you in a couple of weeks, when my DFI NFII UI arrives.
But the peeps over at amdmb..forums tell me that once you give them more than 3.1 volts... they behave very similar to BH-5's in MHz and latency !

I'm currently running 3.22V to the ram. Buffalo Tech. CH-5's, running at 220fsb and 2-2-2-11. Passed memtest for 10 hours and now running prime95 (it's been 4 hours so far).

I also have a 120mm stealth blowing from the side of my case on my ram/NB/cpu

(My old buffalo ch-5's ran 220fsb with 2-3-3-11 and at 3V(2.9V in bios))

dropadrop said:
Probably, but they can't start their computers anymore! :D

Why do you say this?
---------------------------

I would take off the heatspreaders since most of them don't make direct contact to ALL of the chips. Just have a fan blowing on them and you'll be fine.

At the buffalo tech. testing labatory, they had their CH-5's at 3.3V on a DFI board. I don't know the exact time but they were testing it for awhile.

Again, I have mine at around 3.2V and everything's fine and dandy.

2.9v max with CH-5 dude.

I have a a 512mb stick of CH-5 in my AMD rig, 2.9V is seriously enough.

tekOC said:
2.9v max with CH-5 dude.

I have a a 512mb stick of CH-5 in my AMD rig, 2.9V is seriously enough.

Here is an email a Buffalo Tech guy sent to me. I later met with him and saw the tests.

We’ve (at amdforums.com) recently found out that we can turn off the internal voltage limiter by using Vdimm of at least 3.1-3.2V. The internal VL limits the voltage to around 2.77V, unless the end user can pump the extra volts into the DIMM. Between 2.8 and 3.1Vdimm, the chips get a little unstable – so no one tried the higher voltage until recently, when someone had the leap of faith to go higher.

The most I had been able to do was 2-3-2 at 220 (DDR440) with 2.8V. I think all the CH-5s can do the higher bus speeds and tighter timings. Everyone I’ve tried (except for one and I think that one was defective) has been able to hit at least DDR480 at 2-2-2, using 3.2Vdimm.

Hell yeah! Now I've exact similar stories about the newer ch5 holding down there 3.3v, with no problems! This is just awesome! Screw bh5 in my book. Overpriced and not worth it!!

I ran my Corsair CH-5 at 3.25v for about a month 24/7. Ive now back it down to 2.87v because of the comments I have been reading about CH-5 and high voltage leading to early death.
Without a doubt when I raised the voltage the faster I was able to go without errors. I found that at low voltage the computer would always boot but was certainly not error free.
So yes CH-5 gets better with high voltage even though they have the so called voltage regulator.
I now have 2 other sticks of twinmos CH-5 and they also are very good with voltage. I had enougher twinmos CH-5 stick but for some reason this stick hated voltage and it hardly overclocked at all at all voltages, I had problems with it at stock speed so I got rid of it, must of been faulty.
I can't tell you for sure it 3.3v is to much, I guessing it would be since the die size of the chips have been reduced when compared with BH-5.
I read on another forum that the absolute max voltage for CH-5 is 3.6v, this is meant to be written on the CH-5 spec sheet found at the winbond website. Ive now looked numberous times to try and find this spec sheet on the winbond site but have not found it.

Thanks for the input man..... I'm about to go see if my ram can make my 250fsb goal!! Gonna take lots of testing...

Back