• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something fell off!!! Part II: I glued it back on!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edge386

Hi everyone, remember my old thread that stirred up a little more response than i expected? Well, to sum up, a surface mount capacitor peeled off with a sticker when i was applying heatsinks to my RAM. here is a link to the original thread:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=278586&highlight=something+fell+off
Anywho, i took the chip to an appliance repair store hoping they would be able to solder it back on for me since i already had the capacitor, and they advised me that my safest bet would be to super glue it back on. well I did but i have a question, is superglue conductant? will it prevent the capacitor from making contact? I wasnt quite sure where to put this since it was a followup on my previous thread about my RAM chip but it kinda has to do with volt modding but nothing is being modified, so in dont know, any feedback would be appreciated, thanks for the help everyone.

It might let a little bit of power throught it but i know for sure that it is nowhere near as conductive as solder. But if it works, good for you.

Have you tried it to see if it works?

Yeah but im afraid the batch numbers will be so completely different that they wont overclock well at all, i bought this stick with another one as singles but bought them together, im hoping they will be close enough to being matched as possible. I dont have the money to buy more ram, what i have right now is what i get for a long time. Ill be lucky if i get filters for my camera this year. (that kinda has nothing to do with this :D ) I havent tested the stick yet because i need to swap mobos to do that and you know how that is :) dont want to fry my abit IS7E

The capacitor helps filter the power supply voltage to reduce spikes produced by the chips themselves, and I've read that without enough capacitance, the spikes can be big enough to destroy chips. However I believe that you can usually get by if one capacitor is gone because there are redundant capacitors on the module.

Superglue is an insulator, but maybe the appliance repair place wanted you to glue only the center of the capacitor and rely on mechanical pressure for electrical contact on the ends (or they were clueless and thought that the capacitor was purely decorative), but I don't see how you can prevent the superglue from spreading to the ends. One of those conductive pens filled with silver-laced ink should be able to fix the capacitor, but be careful not to let the ink create a short because it'll be right across the memory module's power supply voltage to ground. If you solder, use a small iron, but I found that even 10W was enough to ruin those capacitors (my batting average was only 0.333).

Back