• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP1700, Mobile Barton, or 2500 Barton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zeke968

I have a week 19 DLT3C XP1700 that runs great at speeds over 2400mhz (sig).

My question is, would the performance gain be worth shelling out the cash for a mobile barton or an xp2500 barton?

I can already break 19000 in 3dmark 2001 and get about 5800 in 3dmark 2003.

Thanks....

That's an excellent overclok on a very nice system.

Your only choice is the mobile Barton. You're may not gain that much unless you have luck to get a highly overclockable mobile Barton.

Some of them do 2.7-2.8 but realisticly, you may be looking at "only" 2.5-2.6. I wouldn't go through the hassle unless I was building a new system.

You already have a nice overclock to tie you over before your future upgrade to 64...

2.2 GHz Athlon 64 may be roughly the same as a 2.8 GHz Athlon XP, so clearly save up for a mobo-cpu upgrade late this year or in 2005.

You already have a decent oc as it is..Personally, I would save the cash for something else.

My question is, would the performance gain be worth shelling out the cash for a mobile barton or an xp2500 barton?

Short & simple, probably not, no.

You could definately play around a lot more. You may get a really good OC'able mobile, but if your wondering about a huge performance gain, no.

I can't even break 20k with 246x11.....2702 mhz! Then again somethin is goofed with my system.......Most people are breaking 21k or so. But 19k to 21k......May look like a huge gain in performance, but I doubt you'd notice any.

Am I missing something here? The barton mobile would have more cache PLUS would o/c higher than the 2.4ghz he is running at. Why wouldn't that be a perf boost worth $50 (if he sells his 1700?).

Zeke968 said:

Actually yes you will see a difference...it takes my 319 running between 2.5 and 2.6Ghz to equal that of the barton running at 2.2Ghz...that extra L2 cache does make a difference...

Went from 17k at 2.57Ghz on the 319 to 18.5k on the barton 2500 running at 2.2Ghz (default settings (BIOS and 01)...am over 20.5K running a mobile 2600 at 2.6Ghz now...

Just make sure to get a mobile barton...they OC bettter then the desktops and run cooler...and they are unlocked...

i have the same exact core you got, in a NF7-s setup. i usually run my setup at 2200 with 1.65v. But since i got farcry, i was thinking i would the barton mobile a try. can't hurt really. i got mine off excaliber for $102. it's a good stepping model and week. Well i'll see in after a week.

I decided to make the plunge. I have a Tbred B 1700+ running at 2.2 ghz at 1.55v and decided to sell my OTHER tbred A and get a 2500 Mobile for a bit more $$. With my TbredB, I currently get 3dMarks03 of 5300, so I will see what I can get with the 2500M running at 2.2 ghz.

Back