• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multi stage TEC's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
those multistage tecs are just tecs stacked on top of each other. the bottom one is the most powerful, then another a little less powerful, etc. your basically using a tec to cool a tec all the way down to a tiny one thats not really throwing off any heat.

From what I have read, stacking tecs is a bad idea. You will actually be increasing your temps. If you want I can find the link again, but the basic gist is that you are overloading the TEC that is on top. This is because it has to deal with both the CPU and other TEC temps. Since it is over loaded, it is not taking heat out as efficiently as a water block normally would. This causes the other block to heat up. All in all, you get one hot piece of crap that while could have been a good idea, turned out bad in practice.

I am just looking for the best way to make a small chiller. I have my computer set up to use at work and I have the zalman reserator. I know its not the best or most efficient setup but I work in a custom motorcycle shop where sound and looks are important. Problem is the ambient temp is much warmer than my house, probably close to 80 most of the time so it will be fighting much harder to keep it cool. If it was for my house which I plan to do then size or looks wouldnt be an issue. However I do get to send my stuff out to get chromed for free!

Its basicly VERY ineficient. I have done it just for the heck of it, but thats it. I acheived about 5-10c colder temps with NOTHING on the cold side. total temp of like -41c. do a search in these forums for it, and youll see some pictures of it.

I hope to have the single peltier up and running sometime soon.
-edit- heres a pic
http://www.wc101.com/JFettig/supapeltblock/2.jpg
its -43c:p
With the proper voltages, I would have been able to get at least 10c more out of it, proper voltages and insulation.

Jon

Back