• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest 86 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hooah

i'm trying to find out why my 9800 pro (3rd one) dosen't work with my system. it makes lots of artifacts so i'm testing the hell out of everything. artifacts even at stock 2.4ghz, so next test is memory.

my question is:

should i run memtest with both 2x256 OCZ 3700 gold in or just one 256 at a time. i'm running these tests at stock DDR400 (200fsb) at 2.8V. i'm gonna run overnight but i just wanna know if both at the same time are ok.

Run one at a time and if both sticks pass, run them simultaneously then test again. This way, if one stick is bad, you'll know which one. If both sticks are good yet memtest errors, you'll know it's your board that is causing the errors.

~THT

You should start off by testing both modules. If Memtest fails test 1 at a time to see if the memory is the issue. You didn't state which mainboard you are using, is it the Asus P4P800 by chance?

no, its ABIT 1C7. something is causing major problems with 9800 pro, and i know its not the PSU or hard-drive, and i very highly doubt i've gotten 3 bad 9800 pro's so it only leaves memory or motherboard. the really strange thing is that my 9500 works perfect when i put it in, but 9800 artifacts on desktop sometimes, games right away and this is with my system and the 9800 pro stock.

i'll run both at first i guess and if errors then i'll try to pinpoint which one. i had some errors when i first got it but the mem was at 2.5v, at 2.8v had none then, so i'll try to see tonight. this problem is very strange though

just finished running memtest86 for 11hr 53min 131 passes, no errors so its not memory either. only leaves motherboard left?

not PSU, not memory, no likely video card (3 bad 9800 pro's? possible, but not likely at all)

any more ideas, this is still a major pain in the ***, should have stayed with 9500 softmodded to 9700

i'm thinking of RMAing the PSU to Antec and the Motherboard to ABIT as it can only be one of those 2 things.

Back