• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O/C Green Squares

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peevuto

Registered
Weird one here.... when O/C my FSB past 184FSB, I get green squares on Game Intro's or Movies cutscenes within the game (not in-game 3d rendered cutscenes, but the intro-movie type ones). Like in FarCry when the "Ubisoft" logo is playing at the start. The green squares are small and appear randomly around the screen in different spots while cut scene is playing. I can get rid of the squares by taking the FSB down to 184... they don't appear. Doesn't matter what my multiplier is, so I have to rule out the CPU as the culprit. (example at 12*185, green squares, but at 12.5*184, no green squares).

Here is another thing... if I relax my memory timings at 185, the green squares are still there, but if I lower my memory timings at 184, the green squares DO appear, even at the 184. With relaxed memory timings at 184, again no squares. Its kind of looking at this point as memory. However, all games, 3dmarks03, etc run fine except for these annoying little random green squares that only show up during the intro and movie cut scenes.

I have Crucial PC3200 2X512MB DDR. Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior? Should I be looking at purchasing memory heat spreaders?

Thanks for your help in advance!

What is your motherboard? If it's a Via chipset you could be pushing the FSB too far causing the AGP ratio to rise. That could cause the strange video problems you described.

Hey ZachM, thanks for the reply... I have a Epox 8RDA+ with Nforce2 chipset. Do you still think it could be the mobo? THese mobo's are supposed to be great o/c's so why would FSB at 184 be too high?

I am going to try putting on some memory heat spreaders and see if that works. I guess no one else has had this problem before?

Yeah, I am pretty sure that the agp slot is locked at 66 by default. I will have to double check.

Any other suggestions would be great, as I am new at this.

What revison is your mobo?

it'll say near one of the corners.

Mine is an early revision and as such I can't do high FSB's on my mobo without the use of a Vdd Voltage mod.

If yours too is an early version it might just be your at your boards limit for FSB.

Also are you using the default NorthBridge heatsink?

If you are you may want to consider buying an active NB cooler or at least one of the Zalman passive coolers as good cooling on the NB usually allows stability at higher FSBs.

Yes, i use the default northbridge heatsync.

You know, now that i think of it, i don't remember having this problem when running at 198 FSB with my single 512 stick of Samsung RAM. It seems to have started when I went Dual Channel 2X512mb Crucial RAM.

FIXED! No more green squares after switching to the 2500-m and adding some Vantec Iceberg heat spreaders to my DDR.

Since the cpu shouldnt make a diff, I have to believe it was my DDR that was causing the problem.

Back