• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High quality pelts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NO LIFE

I am going to make my own water chiller. I plan to have 2 mcw-5000s (swiftech) sandwiching a pelt. Water will run through the hot side and take the hot water to a radiator which will then go back to the cold side and be chilled. I wanted to have two 226 watt pelts sode by side...but that would require 4 $50 waterblocks and that is expensive. My question is....are there any high quality pelt more than 226 watts that a mcw-5000 could handle?

Thanks!!

PS- if anyone has a suggestion on hot to inprove my water chiller design...let me know :)

That won't work, you are setting it up wrong. You cannot run the hotside and the coldside in the same loop because you will get no net effect. It will be like the pelt isn't even there.

You need to completely seperate loops for this sort of design. You need one loop for the hotside - pump heatercore and block. You need another loop for the pccooling side. The temps you can get this way are pretty darn good as its been done before by wymjym.

Wont the radiator cool the water enough to give me some results?

But I guess it would be pie to just slap my extra pro-core and pump into a mini loop for that one side.

Actually the swifty chillers is exactly what I want:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/ex-rad-13.html

But is is SOOOO damn expensive. I could build my own version easily....but I have no way to make a chamber between the two pelts for the water to run through. I have a very good idea of what the chamber would look like, there is just no way for me to make it. :(

basicly the problem with your design, is that the radiator will cool the water from the hot side to an extent, then the cold side will cool it more, then the cpu will heat it up just a little bit. From that, it goes around and gets hotter from the hot side of the peltier, then radiator cools it off a little.

What you would need is 2 separate cooling loups, one for the hot side and one for the cold side.

Optimally you could get a block that the barbs come out of the sides and put a peltier on the top and bottom with the swiftech blocks on each side cooling the peltiers.

Jon

Thats what the mcw-chill does in my link.. But it is expensive..and the only thing not allowing me to make my own chiller like that is I dont have a way to make a chamber for the water to run through between the two pelts.

Anyone know where I can find something like this?

The pelt will do nothing in your plan, you can't run a chiller in the same loop as a heatercore. On the hotside loop you will need a pump and a heatercore (or 2 heatercores would make it better/quieter); on the coldside loop you will need a pump and waterblocks, that is it. You will use one pelt between the two blocks is all, and this should get you temps in the teens if not lower.

jfettig mills blocks as do other people, I bet someone might help you out on milling a simple block like you are considering.

Last edited:
Ok cool. I am sure I could get good temps from the single pelt like you said....but if I have a custom chilling chamber it would be sooo easy to make a 2 pelt setup.

BTW, do you know where I can get a high quality pelt perhaps above 226watts?

if you run them at less than the max voltage you get better efficiency, soon Ill be offering my machining services.

Jon

True, it would be very easy and be almost the same setup... The two pelts could both run on one external loop, and the chill-chamber could run on the CPU loop.

Might want to check out this thread as its discussing PSU's for cheap found on ebay.

Like Jon said, less than Vmax - about 80% of Vmax (12V for 226watt pelt) - is the most efficient place to run at. You will drastically cut down overhead heat production while retaining the majority of cooling capacity.

Power consumption may be drastically different however... Don't know how those costs add up, but when you are looking at an air conditioning unit, monthly costs of running it without ever stopping are something to be considered. I don't know if the same is true for pelts.

That is realy unecessary though. If you properly insulate the res you could probably go 1/2 hour on, 2 hours off, and increase the time without running the ac unit. But, if you did need to run 24/7 you are right, and it would get costly. Probably about $50 a month...but I realy don't have any idea. I don't leave my stuff on when i'm not around...can't trust my family hehe

Back