• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Applebred Mod just won't work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

livingelf

Here is wut i did, i used superglue to cover the last bridge on l2, then i connected the 2 pins with some thermal conductive pen, i globbed it on too, got none on any other pins and superglue was confined. Wut's the deal? this is the 3rd one since iv'e tried, i thought i did this one perfect..... BTW i used sisoft to find out how much cache it has.

No sources, it just doesnt work. Mine doesnt either. Thats why we call it "superlocked". The bridges on top do nothing, the real ones are hidden.

i can believe that, although i don't know why amd would go through the trouble, but im telling you those bridges where def connected and they didn't get enabled, there is no other explanation.

that's because AMD locked the multiplier and cache inside the cpu in their superlocked ones, so the bridge have no meanings anymore.

Locked Applebreds cannot be modded.

Before we found out that AMD started locking the multipliers, I got my hands on a 2003 week 41 chip, less than 10 days after it was manufactured.

Spent a lot of time trying to mod it, then gave up after I run out of material.

A couple of weeks later:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=244237

That just goes tp prove how much you miss while not being adicted for just a short time :)

The funny thing is how many suddenly changed their mind about getting a new AMD chip :|

Hi!

Does it still apply that Durons can be unlocked by the mobilemod? I've heard rumors about new Applebreds that cannot be unlocked ;( no matter what you do.

regards,
L0stS0ul

Applebred is the name for the core of the 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 Duron so it's the same thing.

If they were made late 2003 or 2004, they're factory multiplier locked and can't be altered like the Applebred Durons made before then.

As far as i understand the locking policy of AMD all non-mobile non-64bit CPUs after Week 39 2003 are locked.

BUT some people found a way to circumvent this by modding the CPU to a mobile. So you get a fixed multiplicator on startup but can change it in windows (won't work with most nForce Boards).

Do you agree on that so far?

After all there are rumors which say that you can't do that anymore and thats what I want confirmation on.

Best regards
L0stS0ul

7seconds said:
Still nothing about bypassing super lock?

No and there never will be.

What's been called a Super unlock is not really an unlock: Basically, the method involves modding of the locked chips, remembering that MHz Speed = [FSB] x multiplier

FSB can be changed only before you boot into Windows but
multiplier can only be changed after you boot into Windows.

...with limited success so far.

'PowerNow' feature allows voltage and multiplier changes in order to preserve battery life.

So if you have motherboard/chipset/BIOS support for PowerNow which not all boards do, nForce2 does not, you can use this feature on locked desktop CPUs.

You also need to boot into Windows with your locked multiplier and the FSB with which you can boot into Windows but you cannot change the FSB inside Windows, only the multiplier. Ironically, you can change the FSB too inside Windows with nForce2s but they have no PowerNow feature so it's of no use with super locked chips.

It's not a real unlock at all.

stamasd said:
1. closed L5, 2nd bridge from the right with pencil

2. cut L8 for 1.5V according to the mobile chart (same as L11 for 1.6V), i.e. C:C:C (see notation on Fab51's page); actually I may have cut the first (from the top) bridge on L8 as well, because CPUMSR shows a default volytage of 1.45V instead.

3. cut L6 for a max multiplier of 19x. Why 19x? It's high enough that you actually never get to use it, and it's very easy to do, the highest multiplier which can be set with just 2 cuts :CCC: - in other words, cut the top and the bottom bridges on L6.

That's it. It just works, on a A7V600 mobo. It's simple enough that I will probably mod the same my other CPU, an unlocked XP2500+. I've began to like changing multis from within the OS, and I don't see any downside to it. For use on the A7V600 I'll probably even leave out the L8 cuts altogether, since I set the Vcore manually in the bios anyway, and the "default" Vcore means nothing. *NOTE* the L8 cuts may be required on other motherboards, if they read it - you don't want to accidentally push 2V in your chip. Also note that cutting bridges on L8 will not change the voltages needed to run the CPU - if before the mod it needed 1.8V to reach 2200 MHz, it will still need the same 1.8V after the mod for the same speed.

For a locked Barton? I dunno, probably the same. The only thing that may be different is the location of the L8 cuts, if you want to set a different default Vcore. IMHO there's no need to do all 5 cuts for L6, I can't imagine a setup where you'd want to use a multiplier higher than 19X on these chips. Unless you push the FSB down to 100MHz of course. :)

I unlocked the cache on my appalbred, but it was unastable and I had to remvoe the mod. The cache had been disabled for a reason.

c627627 said:

FSB can be changed only before you boot into Windows but
multiplier can only be changed after you boot into Windows.
[...]
...with limited success so far.
[...]
So if you have motherboard/chipset/BIOS support for PowerNow which not all boards do, nForce2 does not, you can use this feature on locked desktop CPUs.
[...]

What do you mean by "limited success so far"?
Is there evidence that new CPUs won't even allow this mod or is it just about not all chipsets supporting it?

regards,
L0stS0ul

This can be done on all locked chips, however, not all chipsets support it, nForce2 does not.

"limited success so far" refers to most chipsets not supporting it as well as:

Even if you get this mod to work, you cannot change the FSB inside Windows, only the multiplier.

Chipset either supports the multiplier mod but not FSB changing inside Windows or
it supports FSB changing inside Windows but not the multiplier mod.

In other words no chipset supports availability to change both FSB and multiplier, it's one or the other...

MHz speed = FSB x multiplier

Changing the multiplier in Windows is all I want to do so far :)
So thank you for your Help!

regards,
L0stS0ul

Maybe this will be great for you then, which chipset do you have, if it has PowerNow support, PM the guy who already did it successfully, he'll help you out, screen name: stamasd

Back