• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

too good to be true

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Busty St. Clair

well i was surfing the net today and i came across this ram here and it has 2-2-2-6 timings and it's cheap. i think it's 2700 oced to 3500 and that would explain the low timings and cheap price. does anyone know if this is good ram.

i have never heard of that RAM and i have never seen pc3500 with 2-2-2 timmings other then the retired BH-5 Mushkin Pc3500 2-2-2...but hey buy a stick and if it performs flawlessly then we have a new competitor

Hey guys, pass on this stuff.

Look for the post from Spydeymon asking about it. I spoke with a guy from Ultra's Memory Support team yesterday morning and he said that early on they used Winbond BH-5, as well as Samsung and other chips and that in his opinion, there was only about a 1 in 10 chance that you would get BH-5 today.

When I asked about the advertised timings, he said that Ultra had spoken to TigerDirect about those fast timings being wrong for the current product but that they could not force TD to change the product description since there was still some BH-5 out there and the description was accurate for the early Winbond stuff.

For the money I would go for a gig of HyperX PC3000 from ZZF, which does have Winbond (mostly BH-5 and some BH-6 & CH-5).
It is selling for $215 for a dual pack right now. It's hard to beat that price for a gig.

but those timings are advertised on their website. also does pc 2700 bh-5 oc as high as 3500 bh-5 given enough voltage?

From what I understand, BH5 is BH5; BH5 on a 2700 should clock just as high as a 3500.

well i want to make sure because i don't want my ram to be the limiting factor in a bus oc when i build my comp.

I'm just trying to warn you about the Ultra. Check out the post by Spydeymon, he bought some and I don't think he's very happy with it.

It's your money and your call, but I really think the odds are against you with this stuff.

yeah i'm not planning on getting ultra any more what i want to know is if I buy some kingston 2700 with bh-5 should i be able to oc it to 3500 with the same or similar timings. i will be able to give it up to 3.3volts

The KHX is supposed to be BH-6, not BH-5 based on the info that I have found (see link to Winbond list below). What have you heard or seen about it that leads you to think it is BH-5? The timings and the price are pretty good and I've seen some post where they've reached 220 and thats PC3500 speed.

Just so there is no confusion, I not disagreeing with you, I just trying to get better informed. I'm always on the lookout for BH-5.

http://pub.lorenz.bei.t-online.de/winbondlist.htm

I just got this link a few days ago and am trying to verify just how accurate it is, which is why I was asking you about your sources.

Back