• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

260 1:1 best ram? OCZ EB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maxvla

i'm running 260fsb on this p4 rig and need some good ram. 2x512 minimum that will do 260 1:1 and am looking for the best performance.

the OCZ pc3500 EB stuff looks to be the best performer per mhz. anandtech got theirs up to 255mhz with only 2.8v. i've got 3.2v so i think i could use stock timings at that speed, but i'm not sure.

anyone else have any suggestions? if its 3 4 4 8 don't bother i've already got some of that slow stuff.

what makes 3-4-4-8 slow...i asked this be4 but i forgot where and when....i mean running at the speeds A-Data does it shouldnt be noticable....

the adata ram is capable of 300mhz, but my p4 is not thus it does me no good to have this adata ram.

3 4 4 8 really kills performance.

on any programs. look at any sandra score. 3 4 4 8 kills it and synthetic benchies show it most favorably too. 3dmark, real game benches perform alot worse.

Does it really hinder performance @ such a high fsb? I've got mine set to 3-4-4-8 @ 262 and aida scores were 7300+ for read benchmarks and 2500+ for write benchmarks. Ctiaw scores were 7400+ MB/s.

3-4-4-8 timings are certainly relaxed.
In an 875 or 865 motherboard, the Ras to Cas Delay and Ras Precharge (the 4-4 in this case) are the only timings that make a real difference (and they make quite a difference). In games, running a 1:1 ratio with 4-4 or a 5:4 ratio with 3-3, you should get about the same FPS. In Call of Duty, I noticed a 1/10th FPS difference. If you're compressing large files, compiling a lot of code or working with something like photo-shop with large graphics files, then the 1:1 ratio will make a difference. Those are heavily dependant on memory bandwidth.

I don't know of any memory capable of running a 275 FSB, 1:1, with less than 4-4 timings. If someone knows of some, please point me to review link and I'll probably buy it.

Gary

Does it really hinder performance @ such a high fsb? I've got mine set to 3-4-4-8 @ 262 and aida scores were 7300+ for read benchmarks and 2500+ for write benchmarks. Ctiaw scores were 7400+ MB/s.
The high FSB helps a lot to compensate for the slower timings. But if you combine a high FSB and tight timings, it just flies.

OCZ's EB-series PC-3700 would offer you OCZ's highest binned chips of whatever they are using now for their EB memory. These seem to be offering great clocks with tight tRCD/tRP timings.

OCZ's PC-3700 Gold Rev. 2, and other memory with ProMOS/Mosul -5B chips also may get you above 260MHz while keeping tRCD/tRP at 3 clocks.

OCZ's EB-series is new and there are unreasonable prices set for the product at sites carrying it. Expect prices to settle down somewhat once NewEgg begins selling it. While PC-3700 Gold is finding itself declining in availability, there are other memory brands out there with the same chips.

anandtech got theirs up to 255mhz with only 2.8v. i've got 3.2v so i think i could use stock timings at that speed, but i'm not sure.

Maybe the memory doens't like anything over 2.8v, or maybe 255mHz is just as much as it's got at those timings. It'll be a gamble. Well, maybe not..... Even if you had to run your FSB at 255 instead of 260 (you'd lose 75mHz on the cpu), you might end up ahead as opposed to running 260 FSB with 3-4-4-8 timings.

Hey, it's not my money. I think you should go for it and give us a report. Pick a couple games and get your best frame rates with your 3-4-4-8 memory and then do the same with the OCZ. I bet a lot of us would be interested in that.

Gary

Go to a CC or BB and look for Kingston ValueRam with Hynix BT-D43 chips. They should be able to pull 260 with relatively tight timings for a lot cheaper than just about anything else.

Gautam said:
Go to a CC or BB and look for Kingston ValueRam with Hynix BT-D43 chips. They should be able to pull 260 with relatively tight timings for a lot cheaper than just about anything else.

relatively tight being what? 2.5-4-4-7?:rolleyes:

mrspec3 said:

relatively tight being what? 2.5-4-4-7?:rolleyes:

For me, at 270 FSB or higher, I'd consider it something with 3-3 in the middle. I don't care about the 1st and last (865 motherboard, you know).

So, which OCZ EB memory is it that's doing the 3-3's in the thread mentioned above? Is it available and have there been any other tests on it?

Gary

OCZ PC-3200 EB, PC-3500 EB, and PC-3700 EB all use the same chips and run similar. OCZ places higher binned, according to their testings, for each upgrade in speed-rating. That means the chips used in PC-3700 EB have shown more potential in OCZ tests then the chips used in their PC-3200 EB. All these products are recently announced, beginning mid-March, and are still new on the market. There are very few online resellers selling it at this time, and those, that do have it in-stock, are selling it at rather high prices. Expect resellers like Newegg to drive prices down a bit to something more reasonable.

With my 2x256mb Adata PC4200 I get about 5400mb/s in Sandra mem with only 200fsb on my 2.4C running 1:1 (2.5-3-4-7)

With 285fsb 1:1 (3-4-4-8) I get around 6800mb/s in Sandra mem

I know what you mean though, Adata PC4200 isnt worth it with 260fsb

Gautam said:
i already have those chips on my komusa, thanks.

where can you buy the EB3700? i couldn't find it for sale at any of their retailers that i have some experience with.

excaliberpc.com has the 3700EB for $195 delivered. That's for the 512 kit (2x256). I don't know anything about the company, though. If I was sure it would run those tight timings at 275 FSB, I might take a chance. It's still kind of steep. The 256mb sticks of PC3700 Gold were double sided dimms. I wonder if the EB is also.

I didn't have good luck with my Komusa Adata 4200. But, I ordered one stick of Adata pc4000 from newegg for $61 and it should be in tomorrow. It should hit the speed I need. If it does, I'll get another stick ($65 now, though). So, I can spend $126 for slow timing or $195 for tight timing. Is the extra 70 bucks worth 3 or 4 fps?

Gary

Back