• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12v 6A Pelter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FarEast

Most Generous Member
Ok I picked up a 12v 6A 51.4W Peltier today for Y1, 000 that’s 9 Dollars to most of you guys.

Now I was wondering can I attach this thing directly to my PSU?

And what type of temps can I expect from the cold side and the hot side?

Also I'm using water cooling and my Load Temps are around 55c that’s with an overclock of 2.5 GHz on an Athlon 2500. (Due to my motherboard I have been told to deduct 8c from that temp) So will my cooling be adequate?

Hi

On the cold side you will get -30C~
check the water temp in your system...
the hot side will heat up your loop for sure.

The cold side temp depends on load. If you are thinking of sticking it between your CPU and your waterblock, you WILL fry your CPU. The CPU produces a lot more heat then the peltier can move, so temps will rise.

But for a drink chiller that peltier is perfect..

Veland said:
The cold side temp depends on load. If you are thinking of sticking it between your CPU and your waterblock, you WILL fry your CPU. The CPU produces a lot more heat then the peltier can move, so temps will rise.

But for a drink chiller that peltier is perfect..

Really it was sold at a PC shop, So how can I use it in my water cooled rig?

For CPU cooling you need at least a 200w peltier. A 50W peltier might work on an old GPU, but won't give much improvement. If your NB is holding you back, that might be the right place for it. But chilling the NB hans't proved too efficient, so..

I still wote for the drink chiller!

But the people in here might have other sugestion, my experiences with peltiers is very limited, at the "Ooo, it feels cold!" stage..

51.4W is very weak for a pelt, cant use it for any of your vid cards, maybe the 9100/4600, but i am pretty sure the heat output of these is too close to the max rating of your pelt to give you any advantage, might even give you worse temp!
In other words, you got screwed by that pc shop :( , tho $9 ain't that much

What are it's dimensions? If it's a little 40mm X 40mm pelt, you could make good use of it with a little (SK6 perhaps?) heatsink and fan, fabricating a very neat and effective little Chipset cooler. A pelt that small can easily be cooled by a heatsink and fan setup, so I would keep it, and think of some creative applications.

51.4W is very weak for a pelt, cant use it for any of your vid cards

Actually, this is incorrect. The "80W" peltiers that come with both Danger Den's, and Swiftech's Video card TEC cooling kits are supposed to be run at 16V.

When you run them on only 12V off your computer's PSU, or a dedicated PSU, they actually work at about ~55W, and are still useable with almost all high end video cards (granted, you won't be able to get temperatures below ~25 degrees celcius on a 9800 Pro).

felinusz said:
Actually, this is incorrect. The "80W" peltiers that come with both Danger Den's, and Swiftech's Video card TEC cooling kits are supposed to be run at 16V.

When you run them on only 12V off your computer's PSU, or a dedicated PSU, they actually work at about ~55W, and are still useable with almost all high end video cards (granted, you won't be able to get temperatures below ~25 degrees celcius on a 9800 Pro).

I guess i should have read the title better, so that 55W is @ 12V, not 15V or 24V? I assumed, incorrectly apparently, that the TEC max supply voltage was @ 15.2V. I stand corrected.

erm guys...... just made a cold plate for this and have it wired up ...it frosted over within seconds!

So now what guys....

Without a load, a TEC will usually give you close to its max dT wich is around 65°C usually, with a load, expect less than half of it. Put it on your nb and see what you get. If if you still get very low temp, you could try it on your vid card, but if you only get around ambient on your nb, it is probably that the TEC wont cut it on a gpu wich throw out more "heat" than a wb, especially if you oc it

Back