• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KHX PC3000 = BH-5, then why still available?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
There are still plenty of people reporting that they are getting original branded Winbond BH-5 on their KHX PC3000. They're getting them from Newegg and ZipZoomFly, and even some from Kingston, although it appears that most of the stuff coming directly from Kingston is relabeled.

How is it that this stuff is still available when just about all other sourcers are dried up. WHY is is still available and HOW COME ITS SO CHEAP?

Its just crazy. Does anybody have some good insight on this?

Good question there. One reason that these places still have it in stock might be due to its speed rating. For one thing, not many sites to begin with stock PC3000 RAM anymore. Also, I dont think many people want to go with PC3000 when they can go with PC3200 or something like that instread.

I would say jump on it as soon as possible if you want it. As far as I know, Newegg has been shipping CH5 KHX3000 for quite some time, as well as Kingston direct. Zipzoomfly still has the KHX3000 with the 2-2-2-6 timings listed, so they look like a good place.

What kind of timings are you getting from the Hynix on your NF7? I always thought of the Hynix as good RAM for an Intel rig. Thats interesting.

BTW @ $60 that was a "Best Buy". Good job! Best I've done was $80 after MIR.

Just get some nice CH-5s. I prefer TwinMOS or Buffalo. They are also cheap. I run my TwinMOS CH-5 @ 230 2-2-3-5 3.3v

Suma.

I think all the BH-5 being put in the ram in 2003 were basically leftover from 2002, after Corsair took their fill. Can anyone confirm that Winbond ACTUALLY resumed production in 2003? So the quality was going downhill.

The BH-5 in this KHX3000 may be somewhat bottom of the barrel, and I say that owning two 512 MB sticks. As collector of seven 512 MB XMS3500 sticks, you may ask why I got the Kingston. I knew the KHX weren't going to be as good in the tight, but in hopes they would run 5:4 a bit higher than high-strung Corsair. Nope, opposite. They don't do as high and need to be downgraded to 2-3-2-5. I got five rigs so I can always throw them in something (like maybe my CUV266 Coppermine DDR board :p).

They are not bad, capable of 240, 1:1, 2-2-2-5 at 3.3 volts (DC). They can do 5:4 up to 283 on the Asus boards, and maybe 275 on Abit boards. I am currently running them 217, 2-2-2-5 at 2.86 VDIMM on an 8RDA+. That's DC. In SC each stick can do 220. On an unmodded 8RDA+, that ain't shabby.

Some people have noticed the 512 MB KHX3000 fail Prime, and I notice it too. The rig above is thoroughly stable in 3D and CPU benches (including all three 3DMarks), but fails the SuperPI 16M run within 30 sec. I dare not RMA them for fear of getting worse stuff (besides, I got the Corsair). Mine have the 33 legs of genuine BH-5.

If you are really desparate for BH-5, they are not bad. I got them from Newegg as available on a limited basis, but this was 5 months ago. Don't know what's in the stuff now.

Last edited:
Clevor, thanx for sharing your personal experience with it. I've been following some threads at extreme and people there have been getting original/genuine Winbond BH-5 from ZZFchip as recent as within the week. Some has been pretty good and some just OK, some kinda not.

My thoughts (hopes) were that back when this stuff was being manufactured (PC3000) that maybe they weren't binning for DDR400 so that maybe there was some good stuff in there as well. It still doesn't seem like a bad price (215) for a matched set of 512 that will run tight timings. I just went ahead and ordered some, just to see what happens. I've got more RAM than I can ever hope to use. Justs keep searching for the "magical" set, you know.

Last edited:
Now the 256 MB sticks have only 8 ICs on them versus 16 for the 512 MB sticks (so less chance of a bad IC holding the stick back), but you lose some unbuffered bandwidth (on P4 boards), though not quite so bad as with PC4000.

I've got more RAM than I can ever hope to use.

Yeah, me too. Now I can sell off those Sammy PC2700 CTLs I've been using on my CUV266 boards and maybe put the KHX3000 in them :D.

BTW, I still have a vintage 512 MB stick of TwinMOS PC3500 with BH-5, which I got in 2002. TwinMOS was the only other company in 2002 to use BH-5 in their ram. It does the same fsb Memtest clean as the XMS3500, but is only 3D stable about 3-4 mhz lower. I can believe Corsair when they said they cherry-picked 40% of Winbond's production of BH-5. Unfortunately I only got one stick so I have not tested it much in DC.

Back