• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to try an Oc with old CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shady_cb

I have an AMD Athlon XP of some sort think it 1700XP some thing like that anyway.

SO i though it was time for an upgrade by getting an Nf7-s MOBO and a 2500 mobile, but before i try OC my new mobile i want to try out the 1700xp in the NF7-S MOBO.

What things do i have to watch or fo when i want to put my new CPU in my MOBO after the old CPU.

Plus will the old CPU stay over colcked when i put it back in the old MOBO or will it go back to default setting.

CB

Scotland, a nice sunny day.

shady_cb said:
What things do i have to watch or fo when i want to put my new CPU in my MOBO after the old CPU.

Not too sure what you mean by that...but if no problems arise when running the 1700...then you shouldnt have to watch out for anything (as in burn marks or anything of that nature)...just make sure to be careful when putting on and taking off the heatsink...also make sure you clean the heatsink off and reapply thermal paste when going from the 1700 to 2500 or visa versa...

And when installing a different CPU...it is best to clear the CMOS before starting up the system with the different CPU...

You should do that each time you switch out a CPU...

And when installing a different CPU...it is best to clear the CMOS before starting up the system with the different CPU...

Think i know how to do that but not sure i will read the manual thanks for the advice though, what sort of OC should i expectwith the 1700xp and a coolmaster aero 7+.

Also will the 1700xp go back to it stock speed or stay at what i OC it at.

You will never guess what?

I new to OC lol, thanks for the help

welcome to the world of overclocking shady_cb :p

Your XP1700 will go back to its stock speed if you clear the CMOS jumper before you take it out, otherwise, it will stay at its overclocked speed.

If your XP1700 is a T-Bred B, you should expect getting at least 2.0ghz will your cooling setup, maybe more. But if its a T-Bred A, don't expect anything over 2.0ghz. You can tell if your XP is a T-Bred A or B, by checking the sticker on the processor, if your stepping read something like this : AIUCB 0241XPDW, then you have a T-Bred B, if it reads something like this : AIUCA 0241XPDW, then you have a T-Bred A.

Good luck on your overclocking adventures :p

Back