• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

226 pelt max?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeViL_909

Has anyone seen a pelt that is higher than 226? It would be nice to have about a 300 or 375w for a cpu

I saw a 360W not too long ago, a company in China made them and you can order directly from them. The 360W is 60x60mm (instead of the 226W's 50x50mm), so if you were to use such a beast, it will be best to use a very thick coldplate, wich might ended up making the whole thing worthless (due to thermal resistance).

Do you think the cold plate would need to be thicker Prandtl? Or just wider?

What is the size of various waterblock bases? You can't leave any pelt overhanging or it would burn itself up, and it would be rather inefficient to use a hot plate also.

#rotor's block can be made any size, besides, if you buy a tec on it's own, it is usually because you go the DIY route, otherwise you are better with something like a maze4-1. Soif you are to make your wb yourself, you can choose the size you want/need, as far as there is enough space.
Coldplate would need to be wider to cover full tec and thicker to spread the heat even more in order to use the full (or almost) surface of the TEC.

That makes sense, thanks... Now that I think of it, when billa did an article on coldplate thickness and it was posted on OC.com I think he gave a couple thicknesses or a small range that would be optimal... I bet if you used the thicker part of that range for the slight size difference it would be plenty.

Anyone have a sight to that bigger TEC. I am currently working on a new water block and I could definatly make it to that size. Also, what thinkness would the cold plate have to be. I will most likely have to magnifacture that too so if you all have a link to the thinkness thread I would be most apreciative. Thanks.

Thanks you IMOG. Any Linkage for that powerful TEC? It is definatly going on the block i am making if I can find it :)

Well you are just answering all my questions to day. Thanks again for the info. I will keep you all posted on my progress.

62x62mm, Qmax=437W @50°C, 26.7V, 25.2A, power consumption is 672.8W, get ready to have a big raise on the electric bill, tho if you run it @12V, it only comsumes 140W, but can move around 210W!!! that's a COP of 1.5.

It's a pretty sweet pelt. I want to build myself a water cooling rig. That is a definite thing. But, I was also tossing around the idea of using a pelt.

How much does running a typical pelt at like 12v or a bit more actually hit on the power bill? I live in Canada but a US figure will also do.

I'm using a 2500+ -M

Try babblefish on that link I gave. It sorta makes some understandable english. :D

It really depends if you run your pelt 24/7 and what kind of supply you use. Linear ps usually have efficiency of around 50%, often less, while switching ps (like comp psu) have an efficiency of around 70-80%. So if you were to use a 226W pelt @12V 24/7, cost will be around

24*30*0.215kWh*0.05$/kWh = $7.74 (with 100% eff ps)
($0.05 per kWh, might be higher or lower depends where you live)

with linear psu (efficiency = 50%)
7.74/0.5 = $15.48
switching psu (eff = 75%)
7.74/0.75 = $10.32

Around $5 a mounth difference between switching and linear, if you plan on running the pelt 24/7 and for over a year, a switching unit will be a good choice. Keep in mind, that is with very low rate - $0.05/kWh is about what I pay here (tho in cdn currency) and Montreal rank third of all North America city when it comes to electricity rate, the only two cheaper are Seatle and Vancouver if I remember right.

With the 400W pelt we just talk about price would be:
15.48*123/215 = $8.86
10.32*123/215 = $5.90

As you can see that pelt will probably give about the same result (temp wise), yet cost less on the bill - if you run them at 12V (ie less than half their maximum voltage rating). That is where the 2.0 COP (coefficient of performance - recalculate it) really helps. Tho, you will need a custom built wb for it, since all the commercial wb are made for 50x50mm pelt.

Last edited:
As a side notes, those figures are if you run your setup 24/7, personnally i would never run a pelt setup for folding, wich is about the only reason why you would want your comp 24/7. So if you run your comp an average of 6 hours per day (anyone with a day job), then divide the price per 4 (or 3 if 8hours per day), you can also recalculate it with your own $/kWh price.

Back