• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Results Have PPL Had Overclocking A 2800+ XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i got 2.4Ghz out of mine or 12.5 x 192 , thats with my PC-2100. im gonig to update to 2 x 512mb of PC-3200 here soon and ill post my new results.

normaly i run it 12.5 x 190 or 2375Mhz with temps of 37'C to 42'C

my chip is AQXEA 0321VPAW , i hit the 2.4Ghz with a 350watt ps that died. and with 768mb od PC-2100.

Last edited:
Some important variables that will influence the overclock are missing:

Power Supply brand (not just watts)
This is a recently multiplier locked 2800+? (If it was made in 2004, it's locked.)
Is that PC3200 RAM?

If so, it may me tough to hit locked 12.5 x [200] = 2500 MHz so you may need to underclock the RAM as the desktop Barton average is 2.3 GHz.

It's less with no name cheap power supplies but it's more (2.4 or so instead of 2.3) with better cooling and PSU.

My locked 2800 I just let go of, I had OC'd to 2.5ghz with the setup I have listed in my sig. I need to update my sig here soon, I had to change to a mobile 2500 for certain reasons. I could have gone higher than the 2.5 but I'm pretty sure my motherboard (A7N8X-X) was my limit.

The processor felt like it wanted to go higher but I was capped with a 1.85v without modding anything and it just seemed to plain old crap out past 2.5ghz. It's prolly my ram though. So get some nice expensive speedy ram and you should be going like a champ at closer to 2.6 I think.

2600 MHz for a desktop Barton requires lots of luck as it's quite above average (I'd say rare) for a desktop Barton.

2.5 GHz is an excellent desktop Barton overclock, congratulations, your Thermalright heatsink is major part of the reason but probably your PSU brand too. (What is it, you should put it in your sig.)

mine is unlocked , just with my PC-2100 im limited on my FSB. i got to go talk to my dads boss tomarrow. and ill see about detaling there trucks and get some money and pick up my PC-3200

MHz speed = [FSB] x multiplier

Multiplier locked Bartons actually overclock higher but you need quality RAM sticks to raise the FSB high enough to reach that higher OC speed.

So if your mobo and your RAM can go way into 200s FSB, you actually want a new locked 2500+ Barton if you're getting a desktop Barton, not an unlocked one.

Lets see what I have here....

AQUCA 0312 MPM (unlocked I guess)... I was able to run this puppy @ 2.6GHz @ 2v but the temps are quite high, around 60C since our place is quite hot.. Now I'm settling at 2.4 GHz for an acceptable temps.. I wish I have a cooler room like 22-23C. Mine is insanely hot.. 31C!:(

Thanks dead_man311.. :)

I hope my 2600-M which my wife will bring next week from the states will run cooler..., and clocks higher too!:cool: I don't know, cause it seems that I have ordered a AQYHA stepping which others say it's not that that good.. I'm really anxious to slap that badboy to my mobo:p

Not sure whether the chip is locked or not. I actually bought it on 27/12/03. Chip number is NIVGB 0335XPMW, and its not a Barton but a 2800+ Thoroughbred B and stock is 2.25Ghz(2250mhz). I have PC3200 with the Kingston BT-D46 chip. Power Supply is a 350watt cheap Starnet. Gets good reviews for a cheap Power Supply anyway, slightly better results than an Enermax they reviewed at the same time. I plan on upgrading it soon to something with more power. With my current set up for cooling, a Volcano12 and 1 Smartfan II i get the results in my sig with them both on full blast. I'm adding some more Smart Fans and a duct too.

Last edited:
btw...u want to make sure u are reading diaode temps and not socket temps...just making sure

CPU:
AthlonXP 2800+ Barton (locked)
AQYHA 0405 XPMW
AXDA2800 DKV4D
Board:
MSI K7N2 Delta-L
RAM:
2x512 PC3200/DDR400 Infineon

It's stable at FSB 184MHz * 12,5 == 2300MHz @ 1.675V core so far. Temps got up to 53° C when running Prime95 max heat torture test for 6 hours. CPU, GPU and NB watercooled by Mora GA passive radiator extren and a small single radiator with 12cm fan intern; the fan is running at 7,5-12V and only when needed (gaming, cpu testing)

I'll go up as far as Prime95 runs stable and without errors, maybe raising Vcore a bit too. And of course until I reach 60° C under full load, that's my personal limit :cool:

Unfortunatly summers coming soon ... :D

oso_fast said:
hmm...i got pc3200 ram with a unlocked 2800...how far do u guys think i can go??

just got to clock it and try it

watch temps dont let them get to far over 50'C

up your FSB lil by lil take is slow and it it dont boot. clear it set it back and give it lil more Vcore if the temps are good. dont up it if the temps are high.

take care and good luck

Thanks. Well i entered the full code from my CPU and this is the info it gave me:

Core: Thoroughbred-B
CPU: Model 8
Manufacturing Process: 130 nm
Approximate Transistor Count: 37.6 million
Approximate Die Size: 84 sq. mm
Performance Rating: 2800+
Working frequency: 2250 MHz
Package Type: OPGA
Operating Voltage: 1.65 V
Max Die Temperature: 85° C
L1 Cache Size: 128 KB
L2 Cache Size: 256 KB
Multiplier: 13.5x
FSB Frequency: 333 MHz
Stepping Code: NIVGB
Manufacture Year: 2003
Manufacture Week: 35
Production Batch: M
Batch Production Number: 0403

Is there any useful information i can gather from that regarding overclockability? Whats Package Type and Stepping Code?

oso_fast said:
btw...u want to make sure u are reading diaode temps and not socket temps...just making sure
No those are definitely the correct temps. I live in the UK. Its not exactly the tropics, especially where i live :D and my room temps are very low, i'd say about 15C, so i guess that helps a lot.
I got a couple more Volcano9's on there way to me that i'm gonna rip the old Smart Fan II's off for case fans. I found a real cheap source. I can get full Volcano9's for half the price of a Smart Fan II on its own lol. They should help a lot with cooling for when i overclock.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Finally I reached 2350MHz (188 * 12.5) with my locked Barton 2800+ :cool:

Prime stable, CPU diode <= 50°C at full load

Unfortunately I can't raise VCore above 1.675 (default 1.65V. The PC refused to boot with a VCore of 1.7V or higher so I guess it's also kind of locked.

Unless I find a way to raise VCore a little higher that's all I can get out of this chip...

Back