• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats wrong about my Athlon XP 1700+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zhcrichard

Registered
Because the weather is warmer now , I ran my Athlon XP 1700+(multi 11x and 133 fsb ) in 1900GHz (Multi 12x and FSB 133MHz), It runs well about two weeks. But some wrong with it last night. It cannot boot up and there is nothing display in CRT , at the same time ,with a sound of "du ----" ,about once per two-second . reset the Multi in 11x and clear CMOS and reboot . In BIOS windows the text is messed . and the keyboard is unusable . I do it several times ,but the same thing happen in it . What can i do ?

When you go into the bios what kind of message are you getting when you say the text is messed up? It is possibly a corrupted bios chip? Where you doing any changes to your system immediately before you had this problem? BTW welcome to the forums!

To OC Detective,

In the BIOS windows , the Items is displayed forepart , no reaction if press the KeyB , and it disappear about 3-5 seconds and the CRT turn into black .

Im sure that in about 12 hours you will have a lot of help. Its the middle of the night in the USA and Canada, and a considerable number of members are from there. Personaly, I dont think I can help you, but you could swap out parts from another machine to try it.

I would like to ask you, when you say 1900ghz, do you mean a 1900+? 133x12=1600mhz, or the speed of a 1900+. Amd cpu's run at lower mhz than their intel counterparts, but keep the same performance. Thats why Amd imposed the model numeber system. That is also why a 1700+ runs at 1.47ghz.

zhcrichard said:
The BIOS section is showed forepart of whole body . The text in English and can read it .
dont understand what you are trying to say - if you can read the text in the bios - what does it say and what happens after you get into the bios - does it switch itself off? If so it could be because your cpu is overheating due to either faulty installation of heat sink or the fan is not working. Its kind of difficult to diagnose your problem without knowing exactly what is happening.

Now I think we should let it be. Because I cannot explain the problem in English . English is not my native language . I cannot perfect using it . Are you a American ?

No I am not. Based on what you say - you can access the bios but after a short period the monitor switches off? Is it both the monitor and your system that switch off or just the monitor? What lights are still lit on your computer after the monitor goes blank?

I get the idea what you're saying. You're saying you're only getting parts of your screen before it goes out. You have corrupted letters too. It sounds like your video card may be going bad. When it involves overclocking sometimes some devices like the video card, sound card, lan card, mems, etc can get damaged from it. I'd put in another video card to find out. If you get it working leave the system at stock speed.

thanks, I'll try the cards immediately . I think the chip which control the data in/out is maybe damaged if the cards is work well in the other machine .

I check the manual for the mainboard , I think the winbond 83697HF chip which controls data I/O is damaged for overclocking . but I doesnt know how the chip works .

Back