• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin memory WARNING!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jkb2198

Just to let everyone know, cause i see alot of people buying pc3500 lvl 2 off of ebay is that if your memory is ever defective it does not have a lifetime warranty. Unfortuanetly, according to mushkin, if you are not the orginal owner of the memory you void the lifetime warranty. The only way i can see getting around this is to only purchase memory off ebay if you can also get the original sales reciept from the seller. This is unfortuante that mushkin does not stand behind all their mem. This may sound harsh but corsair, ocz and geil will warranty their mem no matter who the owner is. Use me as an example,a friend of mine runs a computer store and is a vendor for mushkin. But he cannot buy from mushkin because of their outrageous prices so he buys mushkin in bulk from newegg or over seas. Often times this is refurbished memory. Then he turns around and sells it on ebay as being used but can offer a lifetime warranty on them because he is a vendor and mushkin has to honor it even though he is not the original owner and could be refurbished memory. I am not saying this is right of him but mushkin is way off with their warranty. Just because this guy signed a form to be a vendor but doesnt even buy mem from them mushkin will rma any memory he sends them. Now grant it, he does sell alot of mushkin on ebay and does say they are used but i think mushkin is just being ridiculous. So the lesson to learn is that just because someone is selling mushkin on ebay(and 99% of them say they have a lifetime warrany thru mushkin,which is not true) you need to make sure they are either a vendor that is able to offer a lifetime, buy another brand of memory, or buy it directly from mushkin or newegg(or vendors) so that no one will have problems if they have to rma memory.

Just want to know what you peps think about this.
I am not knockin mushkin, cause i do own alot of mushkin but i just though they are being a little ridiculous just becasue you did not either buy the memmory directly from them or a vendor they want to try and punish you for it. I just feel that they are not standing behind there product.

LEAVE SOME INPUT PLEASE
and let me know if you feel i am wrong

Keep clockin

Well don't forget they can't reaplce the chips if someone burns it up anyways. So to me its no big deal, plus I don't buy things like this from ebay. Also keep in mind no refurbished items are covered by a warranty unless the vendor offers one.

This may sound harsh but corsair, ocz and geil will warranty their mem no matter who the owner is.

No, not Corsiar. I had a 512 MB pc133 stick that crapped out, and their site said no warranty for me:(

Right here:
From http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/warranty.html
The following parts are not covered by this warranty:

* Modules that are missing the label containing Corsair's part number
* Modules that are purchased from other end users
* Modules that Corsair determines were not manufactured by Corsair, i.e., counterfeit Corsair modules

I just make sure I can remain in contact with whoever I buy this sort of thing from. I bought a gig of Lvl. 2 from a buy on eBay, but I have his contact information (and chat with him on AIM from time to time anyway), and before I bought them, he assured me that if something was to go wrong with them, he would let me send them back to him, and he would RMA them himself.

Mushkin has always been like this if you are not the original owner meaning purchase thru Mushkin then they do not warranty the mem. I have had this run in with them in the pass an will not use Mushkin at all. OCZ, Corsair, an Kingston I have never had a problem getting a replacement stick.

your case may be special, but I find people say lots of things, when they actually have to put forth the effort, dissappearings an easy thing to do.

This is copied from Mushkin forum from Mushkin Rep.

Lorven
Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:14 am Post subject: Purchasing from Ebay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone who is considering purchasing our memory off of Ebay: Please be aware that we cannot honor our lifetime warranty for memory purchased off of Ebay, as it is not owned by the original purchaser, as stated in our warranty policy:

(2) the product is still owned by the original purchaser

Please be aware of this when making your purchases off of Ebay, as many sellers mistakenly claim that the lifetime warranty will be honored. While we can almost always provide tech support for our memory, no matter where it is purchased from, we will not be able to replace defective memory. Please call us at 1-800-569-1868 if you have questions about this.

Now read #2, so if you buy this mem from another member or trader there is no warranty.

Sorry had not looked at the thread in a coulple of days. But like is said i am not trying to knock mushkin as i own two pairs of mushkin memory but i just find it strange that jsut because my friend is a "vendor" who does not even happen to buy memory from mushkin but from overseas or in bulk from newegg, you can buy memory from him(that could possibly be refurbished) and still get it rma'd. What is the difference between that or if an end user buys it off ebay. Too me it is almost as if mushkin is trying to not have to stand buy all of thier memory. especially since the majority of memory sold on ebay is lvl2 bh5 and i feel that they are trying to find an easy way to back out on rmas. Plus i have had to rma memory thru corsair and when i sent it in i gave them a copy of the recipet showing it was purchased off of ebay from another end user and they gave me no problems.

Keep clockin

Their posistion makes sense though. When Mushkin sells to 3rd party vendors such as newegg, Mushkin is responsible as a company for making sure the chips arrive in good condition. When the 3rd party sells to an end user, the vendor is responsible for getting the sold memory to the user in the conditions of the product details. At this point Mushkin has no control of what is done to their sticks. So when an end user sells to an end user, Mushkin is not responsible for making the seller ship the RAM as they would to an end user or vendor, so why should they bear it? For all they know, it could have been handled poorly during shipping, or the initail end user ran it out of spec.

ares350 said:
your case may be special, but I find people say lots of things, when they actually have to put forth the effort, dissappearings an easy thing to do.
Not in PerlAddict's case..im still here and honoring the deal.

Back