• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which peltier?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

p0nti

I need suggestions as to which peltier to use for a project I am starting.

I want it to run around -10 to -20 celcius without any load, and I want it to be as small as possible. Does anyone know where I can find a peltier that runs those temperatures at a relatively low wattage that is tiny (about 1" X 1" or so). If not, can you suggest any that somewhat fill that description? Additionally, does anyone know of any peltiers that are 'odd-shaped' i.e. semi-circular, rectangular, etc. thanks!

Welcome to the forums!

You might want to ask this question in 'Extreme Cooling' for the best responses - that's where all the peltier chat will happen ;)

What is the application? I do not know of irregularly shaped pelts, but I've never looked for them either. In the documentation and research I have looked through, I've only seen the common looking ones.

There are very small pelts available out there, around the size you are looking for, but I do not know at what temperatures they run at... I'll see if I can dig up some places that are good for buying pelts. Do you know of any stores already that carry a lot of pelts (not computer stores, they will burn you on prices)?

I would suspect if its for a cpu you would need at least 250w, though I dont pelt cool so its just a guestimate. It depends on the cpu your using. Also keep in mind that you will have to buy a powersupply for the pelt, because it will overload just about any psu powering a pc as well.

yea you do need a 266watt pelt along with water cooling.....266 watt pelt takes out alot of heat from one side to another....nearly 180c....and you also need an awesome power supply which will be able to handle 25+ amps.....and you can't just use cheap water cooling on it....need something what really cool down the hot side of the pelt.......good luck with the project....lets us know and post some pictures when ur done....and again **welcome to the forms**

MOVED FROM COOLING TO EXTREME COOLER AS SUGGESTED.

I need suggestions as to which peltier to use for a project I am starting.

I want it to run around -10 to -20 celcius without any load, and I want it to be as small as possible. Does anyone know where I can find a peltier that runs those temperatures at a relatively low wattage that is tiny (about 1" X 1" or so). If not, can you suggest any that somewhat fill that description? Additionally, does anyone know of any peltiers that are 'odd-shaped' i.e. semi-circular, rectangular, etc. thanks!

This is not necessarily going to be used for a CPU (notice I said no load). First things first to acquaint myself with the technology (as I have little experience with peltiers) is to freeze water. I'd ultimately like to make single cylindrical ice cubes if possible with the use of a peltier . . .not cool a CPU as of yet. And to find the smallest peltier that requires the least wattage to make ice and keep it frozen for a long time, would be great. I would like it to push -10 to -20 C so that I can experiemnt with other things as well. And as I mentioned above, any suggestions as to a place where I can get peliters in semi-circular shapes or custum shapes would be nice. thanks!

moved to extreme cooling as suggested.

BTW, I would, at this juncture, just like to freeze things, like soda, water, food, etc. NOT cool a CPU as of yet. Just experimenting and could use some suggestions, and I know that this is a good place to ask about peltiers. Thanks!

e-bay is a good place to find pelts. There is a guy going by the name of thermal enterprises or something that sells tonnes of them and has a good reputation.

I have never seen them in any shape other than a rectangle.

Most pelts can get to -10 or -20 if you have the right cooling on them. They aren't actually rated for a temperature they can reach, they are rated with a delta T they can induce with no load on them. Most pelts have a delta T of about 65 degrees, so with no load on the pelt if you keep the hot side down to 40 degrees or so, you should be able to reach the temps you want.

Threads merged. Next time just PM a mod to get it moved. Welcome to the forums.

Back