• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any idea when RAM prices are going to come down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LtBlue14

Man they've shot up a lot in the past few months, does anyone know if they're expected to come back down some time?

Yup... my new OCZ 4200 was ridicoulous, more than a new Sapphire 9800Pro by a good margin! :eek:

Anyway... don't expect prices to drop anytime soon - as in after the summer. All of the major chip manufacturing occurs in the far east: Samsung, Micron, Hynix, Nanya, ProMos, PowerChip, etc.

According to DramExchange, contract prices are rising to almost spot market prices, yes spot prices dropped recently from crazy $7/ 32MB chip (it takes 16 to make a 512MB stick = $112 for just the chips!)
See below to get an idea of what has been happening.
http://www.digitimes.com/Backgrounders/Features/DRAMeXchange.asp
http://www.simmtester.com/page/memory/memprice.asp

I'm wondering if there isn't a little collusion going on here. It is almost like they are trying to jack up the price of DDR so that when DDR2 is introduced the difference in price won't be as great as they were previously predicting. One thing is probably safe to assume and that is that there won't be a drop anytime soon unless we all quit buying. From the looks of all these posts from people looking to buy that doesn't seem likely.

thx for the link belephon, and welcome to the forums

One thing is probably safe to assume and that is that there won't be a drop anytime soon unless we all quit buying. From the looks of all these posts from people looking to buy that doesn't seem likely.
yeah but it's gotta have the OEM guys like dell going crazy, and those are the guys that really matter

=( i yearn for the good old days of cheap 2x512 pc3200 at $150. now the CHEAP stuff is $200

Back