• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

worth it to upgrade from a 1700?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
I have a 1700 that can hit 2500mhz if i want it to, probably more. i am going to quakecon again this year, and want to win the performance contests (should have won last year, but got screwed by nvidia)

i want to be able to do the same sort of thing (great percentage overclocking, and great performance difference between stock and @ speed) which i have now....

is it a guarantee to buy a 2500 barton mobile? oh ya, i like being able to run my fans on low, because i sleep right next to my comp, so will i have to run a high voltage (high temp) in order to get this thing to go fast.

sooooo ya. sup:cool:

there is one which is simply an overclocking contest. which is highest percentage on the CPU from stock to overclock. then there is the full system overclocking. which means you put everything back to stock speed (everything) and run this test. then you overclock everything to the max, and run the test again. they see what the percentage difference is, and the highest one wins.

i came in 2nd on both. because nvidia thought i had a 2200 t-bred instead of the 1700 i did have. so my overclock went from a 60 something percent to a 40 something (guy that won had a 58% if i remember correctly.)

anyway.

with a Barton on watercooling with a good CPU top speed would be, if you're lucky, 2.7-2.8GHz. at 2.8GHz you're only at a 50% overclock. and most likely you want even be able to hit that speed, specially on air.
If %age of OC is a crucial factor then keep the 1700+, if performance is more important then the 2500+ M will give you a better chance of winning, as its almost guaranteed 2.5-2.6GHz, and with the increased cache you get additional boost over the 1700+

i guess i will just see what is out by the time quakecon rolls around. the 1700 is a dang nice chip. overclocking champ, esp for percentage.

i think it not worth it additional 100 or 200 mhz to your system will not give u any high performance boost
just save your 100$ for next update and get A64

Back