• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best ram for this setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

billiam

I was wondering what ram would be able to get an fsb of 272mhz. I will be using a p4 2.8 800 for this setup. Any suggestions? I will be needing 512mb of memory.

I've actually been looking at the Adata on Komusa:

http://komusa.com/1gbkit5pc53d1.html

And debating whether or not to get that or OCZ. The benchmarks for the OCZ just look so nice :)

It does cost quite a bit more though, and you do hear plenty of good things about the Adata.

Would OCZ PC4200 EL be good?

and is it better to get 2 x 256 or 1 x 512?

billiam, that would be good, but like others have said, you don't really need to spend that much money...although the OCZ is quality stuff. Dual channel is the way to go, so get 256MB x2 is you want 512MB total.

As JKeefe asked, are you sure your 2.8 (Northwood, I assume, or is it Prescott?) can do 272MHz? That sounds like a pretty nice chip.

OCZ pc3700EB will do that speed and a much better timings that the OCZ4000 or Komusa/ADATA. But if your not interested in timings then get the komusa or find some kingston valuram sticks with hynix bt-d43 (same things thats on the komusa)

Steve

its a 2.8 ghz northwood. what do you think the 2.8 ghz can do? i want it to get as high as possible, maybe 3.5 ghz. i will be water cooling the system, and the mobo is an abit a17

Do you guys have any bookmarks on how to oc with memory. Ive been reading the stickies on this forum, but reading more wont hurt.

Last edited:
mrspec3 said:
OCZ pc3700EB will do that speed and a much better timings that the OCZ4000 or Komusa/ADATA. But if your not interested in timings then get the komusa or find some kingston valuram sticks with hynix bt-d43 (same things thats on the komusa)

Steve

if u dont know for sure that ur cpu is capable of 272, getting any pc4200 would be a waste. most 2.8's run about 245-250.
. the kingston valurram with bt-d43 will run up to about 260 or so.if u actually need 272 then the 1gig komusa pc4200 adata for about 275.00 has been consistantly klocking in the low to high 280's... also the new samsung pc3700 has been kloking over 250
at 3-4-4-8. there are alot of other memories that will fit ur need (maybe with tighter timings)ocz, corsair, etc, however they are expensive...

if u get a 3.2 and run it at 240 fsb that would give u around 3850(if the cpu is a good one). then u would have the choice of expensive low latency memory from corsair- ocz 222 or mushkin, or u could go with maybe some cheaper samsung or or other pc3700 with higher latencies..

Does it hurt to get a pc4400? Or should i go with the lower speed.

Does it hurt? Maybe. For one, it hurts your wallet. For two, it *can* end up hurting you because you probably won't need all that speed, so you'll have that RAM running slower. Many of the super fast modules out there won't get good timings when ran at lower speeds. In that case, you'd be much better of getting slower RAM with tighter timings. It's cheaper, and better for performance.

Back