• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

got it last week: HyperX PC3200 BH5!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Swifty77

Registered
I got lucky this week! I built a system for a friend of mine, and ordered 2 x 256MB Hyperx PC 3000 with it, hoping that it would contain BH5. as my friend is no oc-er, he did not mind having my 512 MB PC2700 Valueram for $80. The hyperX was €149.

When reading up on the matter here on the forum I realized my chances of actually getting BH5 were slim to say the least.

I really did not have any hope left when it turned out the shop had sent me PC3200 instead of PC3000. According to many on this forum, chances of this mem containing BH5 were even smaller...

Well I could not help myself, and peeked under the heatspreaders: Winbond BH5!

:eek:

I thought this was not supposed to be possible anymore:)

Now, lets see what this mem can do...

The BH-5 based PC3200 is still available in some places such as ZipZoomFly, among others, but usually sells at a premium over the newer revision (based on Winbond CH-5 chips). If your HyperX's product code is KHX3200K (the "Non-A" as people refer to it) then it is BH-5 based. If the code includes the letter "A", as in KHX3200A, it is NOT BH-5. At least that is how the current thinking goes.

Do your chip's description match the above, or did you receive BH-5 with the "A" type product code? Please respond on this so that any new info can be shared with the rest of the members. The following is a link to a listing of Winbond based memory, BH-5 as well as some BH-6 & CH-5. I was asking about your chips because I am trying to determine just how accurate this list is. Your help, or anyone else in verifying what is on the list is appreciated. I have tried to compare it to the BH-5 sticky and so far I think it matches, but I have only been concentrating on the Kingston.

http://pub.lorenz.bei.t-online.de/winbondlist.htm

Last edited:
Reefa,

the code on my stick reads KHX3200K, so non-A. Nothing to contradict that list then!

I do have a question though: It seems this memory does not want to run at low timings without at least 2.8 volts. I currently have it running at 2-2-3-11 @210 mhz in dual channel. Is this normal?

Could it also have something to do with the fact that I am running at too high temperatures? (47 idle, 55 load)

I was hoping to achieve better results than this to be honest. at stock voltage I cannot get above 195 mhz.

I do plan on getting a SP-97 this week, should that give me a chance of improvement?

Well, anyone? There are bound to be some experts on the subject, seeing how much this BH5 is discussed around here...:rolleyes:

Umm.... ya d00d. BH5 *requires* ALOT of voltage, that is perfectally normal. Pplz often use BH5 @ 3.2v, thats the standard round here. BH5 is useless without volts

Yea, alot of voltage. 210 @ 2.8V is good imo. BH-5 is BH-5, no matter the speed rating it will still need the volts to work properly. For example mine took 3.0V to get to 215 so in my book you're in great shape. Where did you pick it up?

im testing some kingston pc2700-3000 sticks with bh5 for one of the guys here now. and its shows pretty much consistant numbers.

2.9v @ 2-2-2-5 =211-216 mhz
2.9v @2-3-2-6 =226-230 mhz
3.25v @ 2-2-2-5 =240-243 mhz

flapper,

Last week I posted the question as to why PC3000, which is supposed to have BH-5 is still available and cheap (sort of) when all the other stuff is gone. Your testing above shows, if you can feed it the voltage, that you can get good speed and low timings out of the PC3000. So again, I ask the question, why is that stuff still on the shelves. Since you have that stuff right in front of you, what's your take on this.

You yourself posted recently about looking for some PC3500. Why is it that it seems no one wants this ram? Does it just clock less than some PC3500 that has been tested to run at those speeds? You're getting 240 plus above...what's wrong with that? Or is it just a bigger gamble that it will clock that high? I'm just real curious about it all.

(240 at 2-2-2-5 is very nice)actually this is some pc2700 and pc3000 hyperx that violineb asked me to test for him. all 4 sticks contain bh5.(they arent new)
as far as guys still finding bh5 in the hyperx pc3000, its really the luck of the draw. in my opinion as each week goes by the chance of getting bh5 is less and less. this guy just got lucky(good for him) unfortunately in my opinion at this late date its highly unlikely to find it in anything. its probably just 1 of the last sticks or the vendor doesnt move ram real fast and he bought it awhile ago.

just about all the pc3500 is probably the last of the ch5 or other chips that will run 433 at decent timings.. looks like with the new ddr2 coming up the manufacturers are emphasizing pure speed. this could be because its just too difficult to make ram capable of 667+ with tight timings. one things for sure the bh5/6 was one nice gift to the overcloking world by winbond.

Back