• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 sticks at CL 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twigs

I have 2 sticks of these

256 MB DDR (400) PC-3200 Corsair w/Heatsink (CMX256A-3200C2PT)

in my machine right now.... I am looking to add 2 more sticks to make 1 gig. I want to get two more sticks of that, but in the description of the twin pack of the same model, it says

. Tested at ultra-low latency settings
- 2-3-3 latency settings, two modules installed
- 2.5-3-3 latency settings, four modules installed

Would I be able to say at CL 2.0 if I were to buy the LL instead of the C2?? Or, would getting 1 stick of 512 instead of 2 more let me stay at CL 2.0? And would staying at CL 2.0 and not running in dual channel be better than running CL 2.5 in dual channel(in the case of 1 stick 512, 2 sticks 256)?

I would reccomend getting 1 stick of 512 as to my knowledge that would increase your chances of doing CL2.0. I'm quite limited on this subject so don't take me as a perfect example.

Running single channel is NOT a good idea.
Buy 2 more 256mb sticks the same, dual channel kit if you can.
Place them all in there, they should be fine at 400mhz and little above, dont expect to overclock to high. You should be able to obtain CAS2, if not drop down to CAS2.5 is no big deal.
If that not good enough for you, sale your old sticks and buy 2x512 sticks.
Dont worry about it.

ok, I ordered the twin pack of 3200C2PT at monarchcomputer.com(great site btw) and recieved it today(ordered sunday). Installed it, running all 4 sticks at 2-3-2-5(according to cpu-z.... missed the bios screen while putting side back on comp =( ). thanks for the help guys

Back