• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KHX heatspreader off/on? Tips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Don K

Hi!

I have 4*256 KHX3000 in my rig, and I've decided to find out exactly what chips I'm using!

3 of my modules have identical markings and look identical.

The last one, has different markings, AND the PCB is different.

Instead of testing them over and over in different configurations, I've decided to look for myself.

To the Question:

How to remove the heatspreader with as little risk as possible?

And do you re-atach it just like that *snap*, or is there more to it?

I know it voids my guarantee, but you only live once, right:p

Yea its really easy to remove the heatspreaders. You pop the tabs off and peel away the spreader....

Be aware that it will take alot of force to split the spreaders. They are held to the RAM with *very* sticky double sided tape. The spreaders split like an upside down V

Bottom / gold pins:

(normal) : | | ........ (opened) : V

No way around it...sorry. Personally I'd leave well enough alone. You should have a general idea what your ICs are anyhoo

Putting it back on with the stock tape is never going to happen. You could always use some other thermaltape and reattach them but an RMA is out of the question at any point after pulling them off. Even if you put them back on.

OK, final question:

I've got reasonable airflow in my cabinet. Just how effective are the heatspreaders anyway? They look pretty, but do they really "earn their keep"?

those heatspreaders are terrible. it's an extremely thin piece of aluminum with a slab of thermal tape on it.

i've taken heatspreaders off 8 hyperx sticks, and it was always very very easy. pop off the chrome clips by sandwiching a flat head screw driver between the clip and the heatspreaders at the top. put em in an anti-static bag and put em in the freezer for 10 minutes. take them out, and you can easily pry off the heatspreaders with your hands.

IMO those things are attractive, but they are an absolutely horrible excuse for cooling

Thx for the info Crimedog.......

As i read between the lines in your post, I conclude that removing the heatspreaders do not affect the modules adversely.

Off it comes then........(at least on one of them)

i took mine off after feeling them in my computer and they werent even hot!!!! ANd i had like 2.8 volts runnin trhu them, they should at least be warm!!! I put on some cheapo heatsinks with some good thermal tape and now there hot!!!! THe thermal tape they give u is sooooo thick i dont think it lets the heat thru!!

Don K,

The only way that removing the spreaders is going to affect your ram "adversely" is if you have to send them back. Then its going to screw the hell out of them.

If you've had them for a while and they work well for you, then more likely than not, the only way they're going to go bad is if you do something to them (voltage, etc) that wouldn't be covered my most warranties anyway.

There is a good likelyhood that they will run cooler without the heat spreaders. They are pretty, thought.

I've been kinda chasing KHX3000 lately, so I've got a couple of questions about yours. Mainly, when and where did you get them and how far have they OC and at what timings? If you peel off the spreaders, would you let us know what is under the spreaders?

Reefa_Madness

I've peeled the heatspreader off one of the modules.

It's sticker said:

KHX3000/256
9905200-017.A00
1147231 - 2,5v
Assy in USA

The chips said:

V57419
0703 P01
D328DW-50

So, from that, i suppose its BH-5.......From week 7 of 2003....

My 3 other sticks are all:
KHX3000/256
9905192-019.A00
1211196(*2)/1213206 2,5v
Assy in USA

(they'll all run at least 225 FSB at 2-2-2-5)

The problem is, I have to run at a lower FSB (218) when i have all 4 DIMM's filled on my IC-7 Max3!

Any suggestions? (or should this be posted elsewhere, for the proper response?)

Well being that there are four sticks in it the chances of them all being equal is almost nil. Try testing the limits of each alone and finding the max at various volts. You will probably find that one or two run higher than the others.

NO, they are not equal, but they have all been tested individually and in pairs, and will run at 225+ (2-2-2-5),

UNLESS all 4 are run together........Then they crap out at around 217 FSB. Why the sudden decrease?

This raises another question for me seeing that I have KHX PC4000 modules. Do they run better with the heatspreaders on or off?

A bit off topic, don't you think?

Anyway, I've *heard* it wont affect performance if you peel the heatspreaders off, but it voids your guarantee!

Back to topic:

Does anyone know, why I'm experiencing this performance-decrease?

Back