• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max CPU a KR7A Raid Mobo can handle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobross

Registered
My friend has a KR7A Raid Mobo. He has a 1900 in it now. I'm trying to figure out the max CPU this board can handle. The Abit Bios area says:

"Support AMD Athlon XP CPU, 0.18 micron process Palomino up to 2100+ and 0.13 micron process Thoroughbred up to 2000+."

But when I go to newegg the only 2100+ is a Thoroughbred, not a Palomino.

I'm confused, what do you guys recommend?

I believe Palomino 2100+'s were made at one point - don't know if they still are.

From their site: you had the info right, can support up to 2100+ Palominos and 2000+ Tbreds...

It may be just as well to try and overclock that 1900...

Does anyone know what might happen if he put a faster one in there? Could the clock speeds be set manually?

There are good news and bad news...

Which would you like to hear first?:)

I run a rig wth a Abit KR7A Raid with an Athlon XP 2500 Barton Model A Stepping 0 (old desktop part) .

It was one of the first Barton in retail sale, which were unlocked in those days, so its not the mobile part.

To answer your Question. Yes you can run faster CPUs than the 2100 in a KR7A. This schould include all Athon XP with a multi below 12,5 or without multiplier lock.

Currently I run the system at 2.250 GHz (12,5 x 180) at 1,9 V (KR7A is V-modded, South Bridge air cooled), on air cooling.

2 x Corsair XMS 3500 512 MB
Geforce FX 5900, modded to FX 5950 at 595/970
win 2K with service pack4
SB Audigy 2 ZS
Intel Pro 100

Be aware though....this sytem exceeds the specs of the KR7A (133 FSB) by far. This board has NO fixed AGP/PCI bus. When you run relatively high FSBs like i do you have extremely high AGP and PCI speed. There is a lot of Hardware out there wich doesnt like that at all.

Furthermore, the KR7A doesnt like two RAM dimms. Had to upgrade to 1GB because of FarCry. Even lowed the Setting from 2260 (12x188) to 2250 (12,5x180) end even so I still dont have a totally stable sytem anymore.

The KR7A will likely not operate FSB above the 192 mark, so be aware of the limitations as your multi only goes up to 12,5. so the max overclock would be 2.400 GhZ, which is way below what todays Mobile 2500 ca achive.

There is an older though still excellent FAQ on the KR7A:

http://www.sudhian.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=7

Still im quite happy with my rig, until a AMD 64 system comes out that can do the 3,0 GHz, that is...;)

Thanks for all the info! My friend won't be OC'ing at all. He just wanted to know what he could plop in, without any hassle.

thanks!

Back