• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket 754 - 1 stick or 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

segask

Registered
socket 754 A64's are single channel memory interface right? I remember with the older single channel chipsets that it was usually better two have just one stick of ram instead of two because you could usually overclock one stick higher than you could two sticks. For example, it was better to have one 512mb stick rather than two 256mb sticks, even if they were the same brand and specification.

Then, when dual channel chipsets from nvidia and intel came along it was better to use two sticks, and memory manufacturers started selling twinpacks of ram.

Now, what is the best configuration for socket 754? 1 stick or 2 sticks? or does it matter? have motherboards gotten better now so that they can overclock 2 identically matched sticks as high as 1 stick?

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!
...and the sickness:eek:

Once stick. Socket 754 will *never* be Dual-Channel *ever*.Only Socker939 will be DC.

Because of this, I'd say one stick of 512MB, unless you plan on running 1GB or more

Sentential said:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!
...and the sickness:eek:

Once stick. Socket 754 will *never* be Dual-Channel *ever*.Only Socker939 will be DC.

Because of this, I'd say one stick of 512MB, unless you plan on running 1GB or more

so in general, one stick can usually overclock better than two?

i've run 1 stick and 2 sticks in my a64 and the 2 sticks is nearly un-overclockable, but i can go sky high with just one.

i would definately stay with one, minimum 512mb perhaps 1gb if you plan on having this rig for a long time.

Back