• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU-Z Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

.Maximus

Registered
I just downloaded CPU-Z, and I noticed that in the memory tab it says one of my Corsair Memory modules is pc2700, and the other is pc3200. I am suppose to have both pc3200, so I checked the modules and both of them say PC3200 XMS 3202 v1.1 CL2. So what gives? Is CPU-Z reading my memory wrong? Or did I get the wrong memory sent to me when I had my system built?

Tough question. Try moving the moduals to different slots on the board and see if the CPUZ readings follow.
Also realize that before the PC3200 spec was finalized companies had to call everthing PC2700 if they wanted to strictly follow the JEDEC guidelines for ram classification so you may have a pc3200 modual that was made before the PC3200 spec was offical.
Currently I believe the JEDEC spec ends at PC3200 so if your buying something like a PC3700 stick of ram it may very well say PC3200 when the SPD is questioned by software like CPUZ, but it will be perfectly capable of hitting PC3700 speeds.
The best way to be sure your getting what you buy is buy only from name brand companies and if it works as advertised I wouldnt worry about what the SPD was programmed to say.
Two of my 3 moduals also say PC2700 but run fine at CAS 2 settings for PC3200 (which is what i bought) so im not overly concerned what CPUZ is telling me....

could be either, check the sticker on the corsair, if they are both 3200 then maybe it is the program. Use another program like Sandra to check it

Thanks for the quick responses. I used Sandra also to check the memory, and it says they are both pc3200. whew, I feel better now. Thanks again! Now I am off to overclock.

Nope, I was wrong, Sandra says the same thing. One module is pc3200 and one says pc2700. I will be calling jncs.com tomorrow.

Back