• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When will we see DDR2 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dragonprince

I'm currently waiting for Dual Channel socket 939 boards and chips....will DDR2 make an appearence any time soon? Will it be worth waiting another 6 months for? Many people are saying not to buy anymore DDR because soon it will be old news.....

Amd won't be going ddr2 anytime soon anyways so if your looking socket 939 then there is no point in waiting as you will be waiting a while. Next year around this time is amd's anticipated release for ddr2 support. Of course that will mean a new mobo and new chip too. My advice is to get the sck 939 platform as ddr 2 provides no advantage over currently availible high end Eg pc4200 modules. In fact latencies are actually worse so current ddr pc 3200 modules outperform current ddr2 modules and cost alot less. Ddr2 won't really be an upgrade until we get to 300 mhz models which will be some time next year.

Man I cant wait for the PC667 and up!!! This stuff is going to fly.....eventually. The tech sites are saying that DDR2 will be no faster than DDR to begin with. You wont see an advantage until the faster DDR2 is released, and I hear the stuff will be rated for up to 400MHz out of the box, possibly higher. I hope DDR2 will really be able to reach these speeds, as ram that will run 300MHz out of the box will be an overclockers dream, not to mention 400MHz...were going to HAVE to get CPUS that are unlocked just to take full advantage of the RAM!! This could be bad for Intel fans...

*patiently waits...*

AC

Edit: got to it before me hehehe

AMD doesn't want DDR2. AMD will not implement DDR2 for it's CPU's until they feel they have to. AMD will look over DDR2-667 and judge it's performance and then judge whether it's speed makes up for it's high latency. This wouldn't be until Q2 2005 at the earliest, so over 12+ months from now.

Do not wait for DDR2-533/DDR2-667, it's not something to look forward to.

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
Do not wait for DDR2-533/DDR2-667, it's not something to look forward to.

I wouldnt wait to build a system if I had already started building one, no. But I think PC667 and higher will be pretty cool, actually. I know it has higher latencies, but look at the loose timings ppl put up with from the adata RAM just to run 285 at 1:1. I think alot of ppl will be willing to endure higher latencies to run at 300+ MHz FSB at 1:1. Of course this is just my own opinion and may not be worth a whole lot.

AC

EDIT: Isn't AMD hesitant to implement DDR2 due to the fact that their FSB speeds wouldn't take advantage of it? I was referring to an Intel system, but now I see that Dragonprince has an AMD system so I understand where you are coming from...

Last edited:
The latency hit from DDR2 is harsher then that seen on high-latency DDR. There will be no benefit noticed from PC2-3200 or PC2-4300 by anyone with a standard system. Since there is no DDR2 and i915-motherboards on the market, there’s no way for the majority of us to note average yield rates for 3.75ns DDR2-533 chips. Usually, when something is new, it’s yields rather poorly. And from what OCZ's forum-scroungers (;)) have been saying, early DDR2 doesn't seem to be yielding any better then current 5ns and 4ns DDR chips. This goes to say that DDR2 will not be much of an issue for this year.

Like many things, DDR2 will likely yield better with each new shipment, and we may be seeing high-yielding 3ns DDR2-667 once it becomes mature in the marketplace. DDR2-667 is expected to reach mass production around Q2 2005, so it may be some time after that before DDR2-667 would reach maturity similar to that found in DDR memory. It is likely that not until this time, which is reaching further in the 2nd Half of 2005, AMD will choose to implement DDR2 support into it’s Socket 939 processors. Motherboards would then enter the market, say around Q4 2005 or later, that have 240-pin DDR2 DIMMs, and perhaps some will come with mixed DDR2/DDR DIMMs. So we may be seeing DDR2 coming into it’s own, but it is possible that it will not be likely until we enter 2006.

For now, this is mostly speculation, but there is not much else to do on the matter.

Latency Table – For Reference
PC-3200 (DDR-400) - 2-2-2 (10ns)
PC-3700 (DDR-466) - 2.5-3-2 (11ns-13ns-8.5ns)
PC-4000 (DDR-500) - 3-3-3 (12ns)
PC-4600 (DDR-570) - 3-4-4 (10.5ns-14ns)
PC-4800 (DDR-600) - 3-4-4 (10ns-12ns)

PC2-3200 (DDR2-400) - 3-3-3 (15ns)
PC2-4300 (DDR2-533) - 4-4-4 (15ns)
PC2-5300 (DDR2-667) - 5-5-5 (15ns)
PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) - 6-6-6 (15ns)

Last edited:
Back