• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5:4 divider holding me back?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redken

Hi guys!

O.K. so, I tested my CPU (P4 2.4c) to be good to O/C at 300 FSB. Then used the 1:1 divider to test my RAM (mushkin 3500 II) and came up with 229 FSB @ 2,2,2,5.
Now, for the question. I'm using the 5:4 divider and if CPU-Z is right I should set my FSB @ 285 to get my CPU at 3420 and my ram at 229 (actually 228.3 but o.k. with me), BUT when I do this my memory gives me errors on memtest...why??
I tested my memory to be good for 229, what am I missing?

Thanks.

P.S.: I tried with PAM on/off made no difference and turbo is off. Same thing happens when I loosen my timings to 2,2,3,6 (good for 239) I have to pull back my FSB to get it to work with no errors :(

im not so clear on this myself, but dividers arnt the same as running ratio 1:1, what i mean by this is, just because ratio 1:1 you can run to a certain speed just fine, doesnt always mean you can ratio 5:4. Maybe someone else can help you more with this, but that could be the problem as i know it :)

[BBE]Jimbob said:
im not so clear on this myself, but dividers arnt the same as running ratio 1:1, what i mean by this is, just because ratio 1:1 you can run to a certain speed just fine, doesnt always mean you can ratio 5:4. Maybe someone else can help you more with this, but that could be the problem as i know it :)

thats about the jist of it. unfortunately if u can run 229 @1-1 doesnt always mean u can run 229 when ur in the 5/4 ratio. it is probably a timing related to the pam selection, i had a similar prob
and finally got it working (ic7) after testing all my game accelerator selections 1 at a time

Ok, I now know what PAT and GAT are, but what's this PAM you all are referring to?
"Performance Acceleration Mode" It changes some timings between CPU and Memory for "better performance".

just because ratio 1:1 you can run to a certain speed just fine, doesn’t always mean you can ratio 5:4
I don't get it. I thought that the way I'm supposed to check how well my memory will perform was the way I did it, so if it works 1:1 229 shouldn’t be able to do it on a 5:4 basis? What is the difference? :( ?
Thanks for the replies.

redken said:
"Performance Acceleration Mode" It changes some timings between CPU and Memory for "better performance".

I don't get it. I thought that the way I'm supposed to check how well my memory will perform was the way I did it, so if it works 1:1 229 shouldn’t be able to do it on a 5:4 basis? What is the difference? :( ?
Thanks for the replies.

Like i said before im not so sure myself, and dont really know why, but ratios such as 5:4 are alot harder on the ram than just running in sync with the cpu, dont ask why, because i havent a clue. :)

Thanks [BBE]Jimbob, but I do want to know, why?:) It just doesn't make any sense to me, maybe somebody can answer this!?

5:4 mem dividers put more stress on you RAM, much in the same way that extra mhz, pat or gat settings stress it. Different ram likes different stuff. My ram clocks to 236mhz (1:1) but always gets funny with the other dividers. Other ram likes 3:2 dividers, not 5:4 it is just one of those things... from 1:1 working@229, try starting 5:4 @ 220, if all else fails running 5:4 @ stock won't be TOO bad... you can always loosen the timings.

Just to sum up, im not sure of the technical jargon, but dividers put more stress on you RAM, some chips can handle it better than others. Good Luck :)

~t0m

stockhatch said:
Ok, I now know what PAT and GAT are, but what's this PAM you all are referring to?

confused,
AC

i am assuming it is some sort of gat related to the pat, built into the mb to allow timing enhancements

Back