• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decisions, Decisions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aNTiChRisT

Ok so i think my dual channel sticks of corsair are on thier way out... i get freezes ingame for 5-25 seconds... i think this is the ram. Any suggestions?

Anyway...

If it is the ram i think i will give giel a spin. I will be looking @ fsbs of about 240-250... should i go for 2x256mb for the PC4400 ultra series (£125) and underclock them to get tighter timings, or get some pc4000 golden dragons (£115)?

Of course, if it turns out that is isn't my ram this may turn into a help thread rather than a ram thread.

Please anyone, and ideas on the freezing, and the choice of ram?

Thanks,

~t0m

hmm, id run memtest on the ram to make sure its ok, rather than going out and spending on new ram you might not even need.

Is the vid card overclocked? iknow in the summer when mine gets a bit hot i get a lock up for about 5 seconds, and end up clocking it down a tad. :)

Stress tests seem ok, which is the wierd thing. And to get the ram stable i ended up putting a fan on them... which is kinda contradictory but, you know PCs.

I have a temp. node directly on the chip of my GF4 Ti4600, with a zalman heatpipe cooler and a stock p4 fan on the bottom, runs @ 48-56c actual.

Thanks for the advice tho :)

Any other ideas?

~t0m

EDIT --

To be abit more specific -- with no fan, UT2oo3 freezes every 5~mins. 2oo4 im not sure about, and farcry died after 1 min. With an x-blower @3000rpm on it, farcry and ut2oo3 dont die, but 2oo4 does on some maps. I wondered if my ram is damaged due to overclocking, it is disc swapping (i run several apps at once on 512mb, but it never goes over 450...) I have noticed a decrease in framerate aswell, which is strange but possibly related. Lastly i am running all the latest drivers, however in sisoft sandra is said something about my mobo not supporting BUS features... I'll check up on that.

Last edited:
Ok, lets run your ram stock so run your cpu at 2.8, ratio 1:1 on the ram, and then see if you keep getting lock ups and use stock timings for the ram also.

If you still get lock ups etc, then test each stick on there own and see if that helps at all :)

Yes i do memtest the turned up blank aswell...

I think it must have been when i peeped the chips hoping for rev1.1 bh-5s, i had to lift the thermaltape off one of the chips... i guess i now have bad contact + air bubbles. Sometime this week i will get some ceramic paste and re-apply the spreaders.

Other than that it could be disc swapping... so i think i will sell them after i fix them.

Corsair XMS ddr400 2x256 xms platinum 2.5-6-3-3 rated 2.55v-2.65v
overclockable to...
Corsair XMS ddr472 2x246 xms platinum 2-6-3-2 @ 3.0v

THanks for the help, and suggestions still?

BTW think i will go for some "Geil pc3500 golden dragon 2x512mb" -- they run cool and should overclock the nads, i can't afford my target fsb (250) so these should overclock to there. (the pc3500s are £180, the pc4000s are £225 :-o)

~t0m

EDIT:

UT2oo4 is the only game to freeze now... Americas Army and even Farcry are rock stable.

Back