• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pci lock question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techbota

Registered
I run a kt6 delta.

I can overclock my 2500 only to 176 FSB....I guess I just have a bad one or crappy memory I dont know.

How bad is it to run at a 176 FSB without a pci/agp lock???

It's not your CPU if you have a non PCI locked mobo.
176 is not too far out of specs as people do high 180s on mobos with no PCI lock but certain components may have low tolerance so maybe that's your problem.

With nForce2 mobos you should be able to do over 200 FSB but you may need to lower the multiplier if you have a multiplier unlocked CPU.

I was able to set it at 200 FSB but it wasnt stable. I heard that once you set it at 200 the kt6 sets the pci/agp speeds back in check!

Im thinking that I need to do something with my cheap a$$ memory!

I dont know what the normal times for my memory are. Is there a way to check that to try and relax the memory a bit???

Or do I just need to raise the voltage to the memory???? I dont know what my memory voltage should be though so I dont know what I can safley raise it to.

Also what is vlink?

When you run at 200FSB did you up the vcore for your cpu? After all it is running at 2.2Ghz (200 x 11) I assume therefore might require the extra juice. Only do this however if your temperatures are OK.

My vcore had to go to 1.75

I will try those timings tommorrow!!!!

What are the spec of your PSU? The KT6 Delta requires a good PSU with at least 18A on the 12V rail. Are you using the latest BIOS? Do not leave any settings on Auto. Set your memory timings manually, as well as the voltages. Try CPU voltage at 1.7V, memory and V link at 2.7V, and AGP at 1.55V. If that doesnt work try 2.8 Vdimm and/or loosen the timings.

Not sure about the PS as its new from my new case.
Its a 350 watt aspire that came with the x-dreamer case I just bought.

I believe im using the latest bios I flashed it with a new one but sandra is still saying its old????? So that confuses me. I hate this MSI board and think I will burn it this week!!!

I dont want to leave anything at auto BUT not knowing what to set it at makes me have to. Tonight I will try to set my ram at the timings above and see if it works!!!

Above he said to set my timings at
3, 4, 4, 8
BUT I have WAY more settings than that!!! So I need more info on which settings to put at these numbers!!!

Ok lets play with your memory timings first:

SDRAM CAS Latency: set this to what ever your memory is rated at and leave it at that speed.
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T
SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T
SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): see below.

set the CPU multiplier down to 11, and set the "tRAS" in the memory settings to 11 if you have CAS2 RAM only, or if you have CAS2.5 RAM set it to "10". Make sure that your ram is running at 100% and not SPD.

Next you will need to disable Thermal Throttling as this can cause unstable overclocking so kill it.

Now the CPU!

If you a re running a Barton set the FSB to 185. NO Barton (as quoted form Hardocp), has had a problem running at 185FSB.

If not then I would set it to 166FSB and work your way up. If you find that your overclock is not stable then I would up the CPU voltage up a notch at a time to find the stable OC if you still can't get stable then set the CPU Vcore voltage to normal and try upping the memory voltage then the CPU vcore voltage a step at a time.

You should be able to get that sucker to 200FSB no problems.

Have a search on the web for your samsung memory! that will tell you all you need to know.

Last edited:
krose said:
Here are some BIOS shots of what I think may work for you. You may have to raise Vdimm to 2.8 and Vcore to 1.75 to run at 200.
DRAM Timing Voltage Control

I would let him find out his memory timings first then He can play around, we don't really know if his SDRAM CAS Latency 2.0, 2.5 or 3 and that really makes a difference to what he can do with his system ....setting his CAS Latency to 2.0 when it's rated at 3 will probably result in a totally unstable O/C at the least or dead ram in the worst case.

I would also read this troubleshooting guide here . You really do need a good power supply to run these boards. One more thing, do you have the 12V 4 pin connector plugged in?

hahahhaa yes that is a good point! I know it's a common error! On my board there was a HUGE sheet of paper on the MOBO telling me to plug it in.

One more thing, do you have the 12V 4 pin connector plugged in?

Well I have 2 plugs going to the MB one small square one I think is 4 pins under the cpu area and one large one at the top right of the board!!!

SDRAM CAS Latency: set this to what ever your memory is rated at and leave it at that speed.

This sounds bad but I have NO idea what my memory is rated at!

Its got samsung chips on it but not a name brand module. Would the rating be printed on the silicon? I could do a search for samsung memory but I doubt I could find anything about my memory as I dont know the brand and im sure samsung makes different quality chips.

techbota said:

Well I have 2 plugs going to the MB one small square one I think is 4 pins under the cpu area and one large one at the top right of the board!!!

They both need plugging in !

Are there any stickers on you RAM?

I pulled the stickers off awhile ago when I put cooling sinks on it! Although I looked at them first and didnt see any identifiers.

Isnt there a program that I can run that will tell me what SPD is setting my memory at???

Ahh found a picture of the PS that I have

AspireXDreamerII-PSU.jpg

Sorry to say but 12 amps on the 12 volt line is low for this board. I would invest in a quality power supply such as Antec or Enermax that is at least 400W and rated at least 18 amps on the 12 volt line. Your problem should be solved then. If you check the forums on the MSI website you will find that the first question asked is what are the specs of your PSU. Think of it as an investment. You have spent good money on your other components, you can't skimp on your PSU either. Hope this works out for you.

Back