• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

decent chance of getin bh5 in Kingston hyper x 3000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've got my fingers ( and just about everything else) crossed. I ordered some Friday from ZZF. There are some threads at Extreme on this stuff and based on those, both newegg and ZZF were less of a gamble than shop.kingston. I figured that worst case I got a gig for $215 (its $220 now). Kingston had it on special for $184, then it went up to $194 before they ran out. If anybody was going to have sold out of old stock, I figured it was them, so I paid a little more and went for hopefully, a better chance. As the saying goes, only time will tell.

The box came in to the office, but I haven't even opened it up yet. I've been putting in 18 - 20 hour days with no let up in sight. Check the time on this post. I just got home and will be out again by 6:00 am. These are not the Banker's hours that I had in mind when I took the job. I will try to at least take a peak at them here shortly.

This is the best that I can do right now.

Here is what I received.

I just opened the box and all I can tell you is that I got the best I could have hoped for. The link below is to a post in Extreme but the markings on the heat spreader (product ID, description, etc) are EXACTLY what is on the KHX PC3000 that I got in my shipment from ZZF. In addition, I counted the legs on my chips and they have 33 on each side which means that it is NOT the remarked Kingston chips which has something like 54. The stuff I got is OLD stock, it even has a label stuck on it with "Googlegear" (the old name for ZZF).

Without having tested it and it will be days before I get a chance, I can not guarantee it, but I am 99.9% sure that it is original Winbond BH-5 at $220 for a gig (2 x 512). It was $215 when I ordered it last week.

FYI - It is $260 now at Kingston (mostly remarked chips from what I can gather from reading the posts at Extreme) and Newegg is out of stock of the 512s, but has 256 modules (don't know what they are shipping).

Again, these pictures are not of my ram, but as I said, the markings on what I got are exactly the same all the way, everyway.

This is what I ordered:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80088-22

And these are the same MARKINGS ON THE HEAT SPREADERS as the ram I received. This is NOT my ram. Please understand what I am saying here. In the posts at Extreme, there were pictures of several different KHX PC3000 modules with different markings, however, all of the ones that matched what I got had BH-5 when the H/S were removed. The picture is on page #4, at post #5 of the thread on chip markings from Kingston.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=32112&perpage=25&pagenumber=4

I hope that this helps and I'll follow up with more info after I have tested this stuff.

Thursday a.m.

I just checked at Kingston and now they don't even list the PC3000 as a product choice, yesterday it was at $260. They had a big time sale going on recently with it as low as $184 for a 2 x 512 kit (these are the remarked chips I referenced above) so I wonder is they liquidated their stock. If so, that just makes this look even more interesting. I do believe that I have also seen it at Directron.com, but the old stock is drying up fast.

The way I figure, for $220/gig even if it only does 210-220 at fast timings I would be a very happy camper. Wish me luck, although I'm feeling pretty hopeful, right now.

Last edited:
They ZZF) still have it listed as of this morning at $220/ gig, with a max order quantity of 20. I would think/guess that if they were real tight in their supply, that number would be closer to a limit of 5 or so.

Of course, if you and a couple of other guys order and get the real thing, I suspect that it would only take a couple of days before the news got out that it was available and their inventory got gobbled up.

Frankly, if you are in the market for this stuff, buy it now and if if turns out to be a bust, you could always return it and it would cost you about 35 - 40 dollars in restock and freight. I think it is a small gamble to take right now. If people start ordering all of a sudden, the price is going to go up since neither newegg, nor kingston seem to have any. You stand to spend more than the 35 - 40 just in increased price.

If you don't want or need it, just kick back and see what happens with everyone else.

Oh, yeah, did I mention that ZZF ships to Canada? :)

I will post results after testing, but due to work restraints (taking a short break right now), it could be two weeks before I get that done. I travel 2 hours daily, plus have been putting in 16+ hour days so I don't have a whole lot of time for testing ram these days.

I ordered from Kingston's site a couple of weeks ago, and I was pleasantly surprised to have snagged some BH-5. Couldn't tell you if ZZF has them, but they still are floating about.

I ordered 2Gb (4 x 512) for $105 from ZZF about a month ago. Checked under HS. All were ORIGIONAL, BH5, not remoarked at all. All 4 could do 245, 2-2-2-6, 3.2v, but not 250(odd) on IC7.
However my Mushkin Special BH6 does 255, same board, timings and voltage.

o really
i wonder how much macci charges for those sticks.... i will have to goto his website.
thanks mrspec3

off topic: where is Estonia by chance

I got lucky with the good remarked chips (BH-5) from the ShopKingston.com deal that was listed in this forum ($195 for 2 sticks of Kingston PC3000 Hyperx KHX3000K2/1G) just recently, so I told two of my friends to take the chance also since there is a 30 day no questions asked return policy (just test the sticks and dont pull off the speaders to look at the chips until AFTER they test good). Well both of my buddies got their sticks two days ago and both got lucky also with remarked BH-5. Mine were DW-45's from week 4 of 2003, theirs were DW45's from weeks 5 & 6 of 2003. Per the threads on this, any remarked DW-45 that is prior to week 18 of 2003 is BH-5, anything week 18 or after is a crap shoot BH-5/BH-6/CH-5. Find that $195 deal link and take the chance, I'd say its looking good and if you crap out you will only be out the shipping costs.

Back