• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap ram for 240~ and cas 2.5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suma

Hey guys,
I'm in a need for some fast and el-cheapo ram.
What is the cheapest ram that can (almost) gurantee me 240 fsb?

Thanks,
Suma.

kingston value ram either 3200 or 2700 with hynix bt-d43 chips on em. Good for 250+ in dual cahnnel 2.5-3-3-11 timings @2.8v. If you can find some on sale 2 BEST BUY or CC it shoudl be pretty cheap.

Thanks,
so basicly a ram with the BT-43D chips would do around 240 @ cas 2.5? Cause my friend has 1 of these, Hynix made and I can take it from him for cheap.

Suma.

If you have a hard time finding the good Hynix chips thru CC or Best Buy, you can also pick up a set of that Adata Hyperram. It will do anything below about 260FSB at CAS 2.5 timings. See my sig for details...

I think I saw a KVR with Hynix, but it doesn't say BT-43D
I'll upload a pic of the chips when I'll be at that store again.

Suma.

http://www.hynix.com/eng/ scroll down the list to find the chips you mentioned I can't direct link it.

Looks like thats some pc 2700 6 ns rated hynix chips. Probably won;t do as well as the bt43 ones but might run faster timings

Last edited:
Hynix BT-J chips are lower speed rated BT-D43 chips.

Hynix speed grades go

DDR-400 3-3-3 - D43
DDR-400 3-4-4 - D4
DDR-333 2.5-3-3 - J

www.hynix.com

As for low-cost DDR-480 memory with mid-grade timings (2.5-3-3), it's a crap-shoot. You will need to be able to be able to test certain modules to be sure you get something that's capable. There are memory chips out there in low-cost memory, not just Hynix, that are perfectly capable of running DDR-480 2.5-3-3, the problem is finding them.

There are chips out there from companies other then Winbond or Hynix that have been quietly increasing yields while focus in this market have been concentrated on those two companies. Chips from companies like ProMOS and Micron have shown promising performance.

There is no way to expect someone to go out and buy sticks of memory with the latest memory chips on the market and test how they all perform. This is what companies like OCZ, Mushkin, and Corsair are all looking out for on a constant basis. Once one of these companies find large batches of promising chips they stick their high price-tag (and high product support) on these and market them. If your willing to pay the price, generally they offer great performance.

Low-cost memory that does high speeds with good timings is a process sort of like taking out the "middle-man" (high-end "performance" memory companies). But it's unreasonable to expect a brand of chips to remain constant (or similar) in performance and production over a length of time. And it's also unreasonable to expect someone to constantly test out new sticks of chips with new chips.

For someone looking for cheap DDR-480 with decent timings, there usually is only two options, pay more or comprimise. Hynix BT-D43 memory, found on Kingston Value-RAM PC-3200 and low-cost PC-4000, will be able to run at the clock speed, but at what timings?

BT-J chips are very strong performers. At least as good as if not better than BT-D43. However, they are not the choice for tight timings, neither one of them. You will be able to run at CL 2.5, but don't expect tRCD of anything lower than 4 without very high voltages. If 2.5-4-4 timings at up to 250MHz is what you're looking for, Hynix chips are a great choice.

Certain Samsung chips(memory doesn't serve me) have also been known to pull off high speeds with moderate timings.

Back