• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buy faster RAM for overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beanieman

I have a question and if this has been adressed before and I just havent seen the thread I appologize. The highest RAM speed my MB can handle is pc2100 which is what I have installed right now. Currently my FSB is OC'ed to 166 which would make the RAM running at 333MHz or pc2700 type RAM. Just makin sure that I know what I'm talkin about so correct me if I'm wrong. Since my ram can now run at 333MHz, could I go out and buy a stick of pc2700 ram and it run at its true speed, or is my stick of pc2100 running at that speed right now? Hope that isnt confusing. Any info is welcome - Thanks!

Welcome to the forums :cool:

Well, your pc2100 is overclocked running at pc2700 like you said. And yes, you shouldnt have any trouble buying pc2700~3200 ram and having it work with your other ram at pc2700. Your board could run pc3200 ram just fine. You would just be running the ram below stock speed, ram is backwards compatible so running it slower is not a problem ;) I hope this helps.

It sure does help. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for the help!

Back