• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU not being recognized. HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ambiguous

OK, so I started noticing on my boot ups that my cpu isnt being recoginized, it says unknown 2600+ and I am running at stock speeds and I know when I have overclocked it it would say unknown, but since its not iam kinda lost as to why its saying this. I have tryed setting all my bios changes to defualt to see if that would correct it but it doesnt. So my question is how do I get it to where its being recognized again? thanks for any advice ahead of time.
ambi.

If you manually set the correct settings for the CPU do the settings stick and is it then recognized correctly?

yeah they stick, it just comes up on the post screen during boot up and when I goto system properties unknown cpu type and I have noticed it takes a lil longer to detect my hd and cd rom drives during boot ups too.

Flash to the newest BIOS available from ASUS and see what happens

I have the original A7N8X DLX v1.1 with the 333fsb, so would a newer bios that is available for the v2 work with mine, cause I dont wanna flash it and then have it messed up, its my only mobo.

A new BIOS should be able to read the CPU correct...

Also...check to make sure the L2 cache is showing correct...use WCPUID oe CPUZ to make sure...

IF still reading as unkown after the BIOS flash and the L2 cache is showing correctly...

I honestly wouldnt worry about it too much then...

My mobile shows as unknow CPU even when at default...

Also...check to make sure the L2 cache is showing correct...use WCPUID oe CPUZ to make sure...

I just ran cpu-z and its showing incorrect cache readings and has a picture of the duron badge. How do I get it back to showing the correct cache?

i have the same problem as you. my barton-m is reading as an unknown cpu on my abit nf7-s v2.0. i've flashed the bios and everything else i can think of, and it still reads as unknown.

It's unknown because it's a mobile processor. Even with the newest BIOS, it still won't recognize it. I went through this when I first got my Mobile Barton in January. It's not an issue if you don't mind seeing "unknown processor" when it boots up :)

jlin453 said:
It's unknown because it's a mobile processor. Even with the newest BIOS, it still won't recognize it. I went through this when I first got my Mobile Barton in January. It's not an issue if you don't mind seeing "unknown processor" when it boots up :)

except for the fact that I have a tbred B athlon not a mobile athlon, and its not just it being recognized as an unknown type but some of the cache is being disabled and is now being recognized as a duron. Iam still waiting to hear from AMD about this.

Back