• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vapochill PE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
Iv never owned a phasechange system before, and i just wanted to ask - is a vapochill PE any good? what kind of temps would i be looking at (used on say an [email protected] or p4 prescott@4ghz) and thus would it take a p4 mounting kit? (for a prescott overclocked would it cope with one?) Does the PE top mount? if so could i mount it in a xaserIII? what psu would i need to run it? Sorry for all the questions
Thanks for your help

well im assuming that tho it comes in a case it could be taken out, especially as it is possible to buy standalone PE kits to go in "any" case. Does anyone own one of these PE's to tell me what theyre like?

The Mach I&II doesnt use your PC's PSU. The Vapo does. I think the most important thing is a good strong 12v. I dont have a Vapo, maybe someone else will be able to help you more.

I am changing my Vantec 520 for an Antec 550 as we speak. The 12v line cannot have the following

2.8B co'ed to 3.85
2 x 215 OCZ PC3500
Asus P4S800E-D
80g PATA Maxtor
2 x 160gb SATA Seagates
DVD ROM
DVD R/W
Sapphire 9800pro -- OC'ed
2 x 120mm Meduim Panaflo
2 x 80mm Low Panaflo

And I don't even have a 7.5A Vaporchill attached. The 12v starts at 11.9v no OC'ed idle. By the time I finished OC'ing and go in a game, it was down to 11.6v and sometimes 11.5v. When it hit 11.5v, the 3d gane would quite and drop me out to the desk top.

These measurement were taken with a digital voltmeter at the molex

So in conclusion, I would be very doubtful that the 520's 12V rail is strong enough fot that Vaporchill

damn - what kind of psu would you recomend? which makes can i trust that wont cost a fortune? what about a thermaltake 560w? the only "approved" psu for a vapo i can find over here is a 510w PC&C but its £190!!!!!

*edit*
ok iv looked at the pcpower&cooling website (http://www.pcpowercooling.com/) and iv decided ill order my new psu from them (its cheaper from them, even after shipping) - which one would you recomend? ill be running off it -

3.2ghz p4 prescott@ maybe around 4ghz
Asus P4C800E Deluxe
Vapochill PE standalone unit
2gb pc3500
GeforceFX 5900Ultra (until x800xt arrives)
2 hdds (160gb IDE & 250gb SATA) with possibly 2 more the same on the way
DVDRW & seperate CDRW/DVD combo drives
2x hdd coolers
pci fan card & soundcard
min of 8x 80mm case fans

will it be up to it??? its gonna have to be an amazing psu to maintain that kinda 12v!! my vantec 520w is running everything in my sig and the +12v rail is at 11.5v when idle!!!! my qtec 550w couldnt even cope with half that. but surely the 510w pc&c is less power?
This was the psu i was looking at -
Turbo Cool 510w ATX DELUXE
is that the best for me from them?
Thanks

Tornado Guy

Last edited:
I have that PSU, and like it a lot. I dont have a Vapo on it though. I am very confident it would handle it with ease.

is that 510w deluxe i linked to ready to use? im a bit confused by the accessories list....its got adapters and all sorts o crazy stuff. can i just buy that psu as it is and use it as soon as it arrives (on my amd board - i have an adapter from p4 to amd mobo header) without having to buy anything more?

Yes its ready to use. It doesnt have any floppy power connectors, but has a molex>floppy adapter if you have to have one. Other than that, it will work on anything.

great - thanks fallguy - ill order one later today...ordering direct from em inc shipping is about £80 less then buying in the uk!!!! Your confident itll handle a vapochill PE? i dont know what the draw a vapoPE pulls, could anyone check it out for me? i really cant do math. Thanks again fallguy

TG

the vapo and mach units all run off of a regular house plug i believe. its the control hardware within them that is low voltage.
like an engine in a car runs off gas (houshold current) but is controlled by a battery 12 volt system.

The vapos run off the psu as I have the vapo pe. I have ran it with a TTGI 550 with 2 raptors, a p4 2.4 @ 320fsb and a radeon 9800xt. Plenty of power, no problems at all with stability. Also I think the PE is rated at 11 amps or so on startup and after running for awhile it drops to 7 or so amps.

Nomjr said:
The vapos run off the psu as I have the vapo pe. I have ran it with a TTGI 550 with 2 raptors, a p4 2.4 @ 320fsb and a radeon 9800xt. Plenty of power, no problems at all with stability. Also I think the PE is rated at 11 amps or so on startup and after running for awhile it drops to 7 or so amps.
ahhh i see that now, i was just reading about them.
they ran off of 12 volts but the new one has gone to 110/220 volts compressor with 507 which is pretty awesome.

ur psu is more than enough...but if ur gonna get the pe with the case..doesn't it come with a psu?

Back