• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which RAM? No budget!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

p3rfect

Registered
CPU: p4 3.0c (hopefully SL6WK)
MOBO: Abit IC7-MAX3

Which RAM would be the best possible RAM for this combo? I think I want 1 Gb. I'm not scared at splashing money if it is worth it! Everyone seems to have totally different ideas!

Cooling wise it will be air. I'm gonna get an SP94 with a 92mm Panaflow (56.8 CFM), and sit everything in a Lian Li PC 65. I will be replacing the ADDA case fans, probably with some low noise/cfm 80mm silenX fans... or maybe even more panaflows not sure.

Well if that's what is recommended then that is what I shall get :)

Anyone else?

Trying to find the exact spec of this RAM but I can't seem to find it on the Mushkin site? Am I being thick? Link please!!

According to one site

"
Mushkin DDR RAM - PC3500 - Level2 2-2-2 - DDR433
[ This product has been discontinued!! ]
"

Ok great tip... I pressume I won't be told an alternative that I will actually be able to get hold of.

i just rescently bought 2x512 OCZ Gold edition DDR4000 and so far its great, if your overclcoking OCZ is pretty good stuff. from what ive been reading OCZ is great for overclocking.
-Andy

p3rfect, there are a couple of other suggestions included with the question that follows. Also OCZ has quality ram that should meet your needs.

Question about the Mushkin Level II vs other ram with BH-5 chip.

Given that it is understood that there are no guarantees that all bh-5 clocks the same (within a specific brand), then:

Is it the concensus that the Mushkin is the best ram made with bh-5 or is it a matter of personal preference and thatbh-5 is bh-5 and as long as you get ram with bh-5, then you should be fine?

How much of a difference is it going to make if you have the Corsair PC3500 or the Kingston HyperX PC3200 (non A, of course) as opposed to the Mushkin? Or even some of the Kingston valueram that had bh-5, for that matter?

Most everyone seemed to suggest up above to go with the Mushkin, but other times I've seen people suggest to just find any BH-5.

Any comments?

Thanks for the replies, since bh-5 has been discontinued then I won't try and hunt it down - probably twice as hard in the UK anyway.

I am worried about buying memory that is TOO good for my system on air, and that it may actually drag down the performance (something about timings??). I have chosen every other component just RAM is giving me a headache!!

What about these:

Corsair 1GB DDR XMS4400PT TwinX (2x512MB)

Kingston HyperX 1GB (2x512MB) DDR PC4000

OCZ 1GB (2x512MB) PC4200 Dual Channel EL-DDR CAS2.5

And yea no budget does mean I can spend as much as I like, thanks greenman :rolleyes:

Corsair 1GB DDR XMS4400PT TwinX (2x512MB)

I got very much the same, rock solid:

200Mhz: 2-2-2-6 (2.9v)

250Mhz: 3-4-4-7 (2.9v)

275Mhz: 3-4-4-7 (3.0v)

The timings aren't the best but the total bandwidth makes up for it all...getting over 6500MB/s in sandra

I was thinking of getting the very same RAM actually. So it's good performance and good for o/c?

Back