• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone tried overclocking an Athlon xp 2800 THOROUGHBRED?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fat_tony_

I have one and I would like to see how well it would overclock. There isnt much info about it out there because it's so rare and I don't want to damage it because I can't replace it. Does anyone else have one and/or OC'd it?

2800's oc pretty well, just jack up the fsb (if your ram can handle it) in 5mhz stages and test.. Should be able to easily get it up to 3000+

Yay, someone replied. Thanks, I was hoping I can follow someone else's example though to see what to do and what not to do.

PM a mod to move this thread please, it doesn't belong here if you didn't know. It belongs in the AMD forum, have a good day :D

ADDED: HELL YES, 4 STARS NOW WOOT WOOT!!

OH, I didnt see those 2 other forums at the top, my monitor res is too high, sorry. No wonder this thread seemed a little strange.

You have a very rare chip.
2800+ T-Bred can't even be bought on eBay.

People usually have 2800+ Bartons (better core), not 2800+ T-Breds.

You will not be able to overclock it much though.

This was posted over a year ago:

c627627 said:
Overclockers exploit the manufacturing process knowing the goal of the manufacturer was to have all CPUs being capable of running as fast as the line's fastest processor plus additional headroom. Only those CPUs that pass rigorous tests at default voltages, are given labels toward the end of the line. Others are labeled not just according to tests, but according to marketing plans.

So as you can see:
http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/

Thoroughbred B's scale to 2800+.

We noticed that the greatest overclockers were 1700+ and 2100+ T-Bred B's capable of reaching those end of the line speeds of 2800+ "plus additional headroom."

That's why it's best to buy those CPUs and not higher labeled CPUs since $ is another factor in overclocking.

...and that's why 1700+ T-Bred B should scale not too far below any 2x00+ T-Bred B using the same equipment.

Back