• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

max Vcore for a locked 2800+ Barton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gulinborsti

Registered
How far can I raise the VCore for a locked Barton 2800+ ???
I already raised it slightly, but I think I read somewhere that there's a maximum setting for the Vcore this CPU will accept.

Is this true?

I can raise it up to 1,8V in the bios (I don't want to go that far).

It all depends on your cooling.
IMHO if you're running under 50C upto 1.9-1.95v on air should be ok, this is Prime95 full load 50C, not idle 50C.
If your temps are higher I recommend setting the vcore in a way that your temps will be 50c or less. If it will require to lower the OC do that then.
Or you could always get better cooling.

Hmm, I guess it's my bad english but that's not exactly what I wanted to know.

Is there a limit for the VCore because it's locked?

I raised it once to 1.7V but my system didn't boot and I had to do a bios reset (jumper). Can this be because the CPU doesn't work with Vcore values above a certain value? Maybe something locked by L bridges? I think I read something like that, but I'm not sure...

I know about temps and cooling and stuff, I understand that raising the Vcore increases heat on the CPU. I'm runnig the CPU at FSB 180MHz at the moment, since it's locked all I can do is raising the FSB to overclock it.

I got up to FSB 184MHz Prime95 stable with maximum temp somewhere around 53°C (watercooled), but above FSB 184 I get errors in Prime95 so I'm sure it's not overheating and I guess I should raise the Vcore to get it stable, maybe up to FSB 190MHz.

btw, as long as the CPU temp stays below 60°C at full load I'm calm with it ;)

oh... that really depends on the motherboard and power supply you're using.
the CPU itself will not limit the voltage, but some motherboards limit the maximum voltage you can use by measuring the default and allowing upto 0.1v or 0.2v increase.
In your case I just think that your powersupply is too weak and therefore you're not getting a POST at the higher vcore.
What motherboard do you have? what PSU (brand/model/rating)? what are your other components?

My mainboard is a MSI K7N2 Delta-L, it has a default setting for VCore "by H/W" (I guess it means "by hardware/CPU"). But it also allows to adjust VCore somewhere beteen 1.5 and 1.8V. 1.65 is default for the Barton 2800+ I think.

PSU is a Tagan 380W-U01; I don't think it's to weak:

Vout / Output Load (lmax / lpeak)

+3.3VDC / 28A / 28A
+5VDC / 37A / 54A
+12VDC / 22A / 25A
-12VDC / 1.0A / 1.2A
-5VDC / 0.8A / 0.9A
+5VSB / 2.5A / 2.7A

Do you need more details?

I'm not sure on how good a tagan is, a generic PSU, which your unit probably is, in most cases suck very much for overclocking.
With Prime95 running, what are the +12v and +5v rails your getting? (with MBM5)?

I tried to raise VCore in bios again to 1.7V and the PC refused to boot :(

I think you were right about the mainboard measuring the CPUs default VCore and it refuses to boot when the VCore is above a certain limit :beer:

Curse AMD for locking their latest CPUs Vcore AND multi settings :mad:

I watched the +12V and +5V rails on MBM5 while running Prime95 and they seemed to be quite stable.

Thanks for your help, now I know my systems limits - I'm not into volt modding CPUs or mainboards.

Anyways, my system is passive watercooled to run nearly without any noise so VCore at 1.7V or above would have brought up new troubles ;)

Ok, I don't give up that fast :attn:

Is there a way to solve my problem with the locked VCore on my Barton :cry:

Change motherboard?
Paint CPU L bridges?
PIN wiring?
etc...

Please post any information, hint, guide, link ... you have.

Thanks

Back