• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much power needed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

THE_ODD_ONE

Registered
I am working on my set up and have a 300watt switching ps from my old pc .
I am going to have this ps for (1) 226 watt pelt for the cpu and would like to use (1) 110 watt pelt for the gpu i might be able to get by with a 80 watt for the gpu.

The pelts will be cooled with custom water blocks and a 210gph pump and a heater core from a caprrice ( it fits 2 x 120mm fans).

and will i need to just hook them up to a 12v lead a peace like for the hdd leads.?

as you can tell im new to pelts :)

You need to see how many amps the pelt and the power supply is rated for. Most likely, the pelt is rated at a mich higher Amperage than the power supply, therefore it won't run efficiently on that suppl. I can tell you now a 226 W and a 110 W on one 300 W psu won't run very well at all since it wouldn't supply enough power or amperage.

-Excelsior

there is pretty much no chance at all that you will be able to run a 226w pelt of of that power supply. The plet probably draws about 20 amps of a 12Volt line, and the power supply can probably only supply about 10-12 amps on it's 12Volt line.

You can run the 110 watt pelt of that power supply though.

To run the 226watt pelt you need a dedicated power supply capable of providing about 25 amps at 12Volts. Meanwell makes a really popular one that fits into a 5.5" drive bay, but they are expensive.

good call on building your own. Pelts don't need very high quality DC and put up with a lot of ripple. Just make sure you overdesign the crap out of it. You don't want things heating up to much, and you don't want things melting or exploding. If I were to build my own PS for a pelt rated at 20 amps, I would design the power supply to handle at least 30, and probably more.

Building your own is complicated as hell though. There are all sorts of warnings that its "only for the experineced enthusiast" and what not. I don't know if I could do it. I'd rather spend the $115 for a decent Meanwell PSU.

-steve-

Building your own is actually really easy, the warnings just scare off people who know nothing about electrionic to keep them from hurting themselves.

All a power supply like this would consist of is a transformer to turn 120V AC into about 12V AC, a rectifier (i think that is the name) which is just 4 diodes connected in a way to turn AC into DC with tonnes of ripple, and a few capacitors to smooth out the ripple.

To build the power supply you just have to pick the appropriatly sized parts and connect them. Rmember to overdesign everything so you don't have any problems. If the transformer is putting out say 20 amps max, the rectifier should be sized to handle at least 25, and the smoothing capacitors to handle 25 as well, this way you don't have to worry about melting and exploding parts.

I didn't even bother to read it. I can buy one just as easy. If i ever did buy it i can get my father to help, he has a degree in engineering and electronics (from like 30 years ago) but he can draw up scematics like nothing.

I dont think i'd build one though.

-steve-

Back