• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will peltier hurt my videocard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
take a look
PT-0V.jpg

PT-ICE2.jpg
PT-ICE.jpg
PT-Coin-Ice3.jpg

PT_Coin_Wet.jpg

how can i prevent the water from touching my video card?

Basically, to prevent any water or condensation touching your videocard you need to insulate the board itself, and any exposed surfaces of the peltier or cold plate to make sure everthing's sealed together pretty much. Check out the guide at phase-change.com as VisEtVirtus said.

-Excelsior

HAHAHA. that first pict of the Video card looks like some one put the pelt backwards.:p

i remeber that pic, forgot who it was by, but i'm pretty sure they just finished running their best 3dmark score and the pelt messes up and the card got burned. poor guy.

I remember it, the guy was running his system overnight and his pump failed. The pelt was heating the card for hours before he was able to shut it off.

I just cover everything with like 3MM of dielectric grease and I havnt had a problem with condendation. (Its still there, but it cant touch anything because its all sealed up)

If you want a perminante soloution use some Dow Corning conformal coating spray and that will pretty much preminatly seal it.

naw that black crap is mold from condensation ain't it?.If it is I've heard to keep it from building up on ur pins and crap back there is to smear alittle silicon on them to keep them from getting wet and corroding.The silicon won't let the air or moisture get to the cold on the back to condensate.

Last edited:
well i'm just trying to help the dude or any1 for that matter, but yeah now that i look at the pic again it does look burnt guess hes lucky it didn't catch fire or something :(

If you cool the pelt that won't happen. That doesn't look like it was caused by condenstation. Looks like something probably happened to the cooling loop, and that pelt + gpu heat burnt the hell out of the card.

If you cool the pelt properly, and insulate that won't happen. The card won't get all that cold, so all your probably need is neoprene around the block, like the mcw50-t, and some dielectric grease around the gpu, and on the back, and a foam gasket on the back. If you put a serious cooler on there you might wanna cover the card in seal string or neoprene, and put some dielectric grease in the agp socket.

btw...in the background there is a girls gone wild infomerial on...those guys have the best job ever created. I should take classes on how to do that for a living instead of calculus.

TheNewbie said:
naw that black crap is mold from condensation ain't it?.If it is I've heard to keep it from building up on ur pins and crap back there is to smear alittle silicon on them to keep them from getting wet and corroding.The silicon won't let the air or moisture get to the cold on the back to condensate.

I was there, it was the pump failing on an overnight run of the computer. He was asleep when it happened so the pelt just started heating the computer for hours. It got hot enough to melt the solder. (Thats how the chip is off the card)

Back