• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking 2100xp 333FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zYclone

Registered
Is the overclock of a 2100xp 333FSB possible? I was reading something that required actual chip modifications. I didnt know if there was a way to flash the bios, or what. I am REALLY new to overclocking and I want to know if MY chip can get overclocked. Im using a A7S333 Asus Motherboard (no raid, stock bios) and 2*512 DDR pc2700 ram sticks, made by sony, nothing special. Temps are nice, 40-45C right now. I dont want to OC much (if possible) cause I dont want my temps over 52, but is there a method to changing the FSB for my processor? Do I have to screw with my jumper cables and put them to user defined?

Lower the multiplier and simply increase the FSB.

You need to have a Thoroghbred, not a Palomino 2100+ to do that.

You also need non retail cooling.

MHz speed = FSB x multiplier

Your PC2700 can go from 166 to low 190s FSB if it's an average PC2700.
But you need to lower the multiplier to do those FSB speeds.

You may need to increase voltage as well.

To be able to tell if your 2100 can do 333, it would be helpful to konw the stepping of the CPU. If you want, take the heatsink off, and look at the CPU. Write down all of the numbers and letters you see. They will either be on the core itself, or on a little black sticker somewhere on the CPU.

c627627 said:
Lower the multiplier and simply increase the FSB.B]

Well the bios seems to be locked and i cant do a user defined on it. Is there any way to unlock that? Or maybe get a new bios that has it where I can do it? ...or do I not make any sense. Heh

In your other thread you said it was an A7V333, here you say A7S333. It's just a different chipset so I don't know if it matters, but which is it?

Processor #1 :(

Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD Platform: Socket A (Socket 462)
Processor: AMD AthlonXP(TM) (Palomino) {oh no!:(}
CPU Type: Original OEM processor
Name String: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2100+

CPUID Information:
Standard: Family: 6 Model: 6 Stepping: 2
Extened: Ext. Family: 7 Ext. Model: 6 Ext. Stepping: 2
Process: 0.18µm
Revision: A5

CPU & Bus Speed:
CPU Speed: 1794.15MHz
AMD PR Rating: 2190+ PR
CPU Multiplier: x 13.0
CPU FSB Speed: 138.01MHz
Bus Speed: 276.02 (DDR)

Basic Cache Information:
L1 Instr. Cache size: 64KBytes
L1 Data Cache size: 64KBytes
L2 Cache size: 256KBytes
L2 Cache Ratio: 1/1 (100%)

Instruction Set:
MMX: Supported
3DNow!: Supported
3DNow!+: Supported
MMX+: Supported
SSE: Supported
SSE2: Not Supported
X86-64: Not Supported
Thermal Monitor: Supported

------
So what can I do with it guys? Must I perform surgery? Is there annnnything? :)

BTW I have a 400W power supply that came with my case. Ive had it for over 2 years and hasnt given me one problem. Im assuming thats good... still need to know the brand? Let me know where I can find it and ill tell you.

It should be really simple to raise the fsb from 133 to 166. Every XP that I've ever heard of could take a 33 mhz fsb increase without any major tweaks and stock cooling. You might have to bump up the voltage a little bit. I haven't overclocked any Via chipsets but I know that there's a divider you have to change when you raise the fsb of the processor. Also, make sure that your RAM is set to 1:1 (the cpu to RAM fsb ratio).

That's a pretty simple overclock. If your motherboard can support that fsb with no issues then it shouldn't take much work getting the system to run stable. It's when you want to start creeping up on 200 fsb that you'll start getting headaches :).

keep in mind, im still new to this, so i dont actually know too too much about how to physically change things on my chip//board. Ive read alot of things on here about similiar situations, but i need to talk to someone who REALLY knows about my setup... anyone?

2100+ Palomino is not only multiplier locked, it can't be overclocked much because 2100+ Palomiono is end of the line Palomino, they don't scale any more, (there is no 2200+ Palomino).

Like c627627 said, you're not really going to get anywhere with that processor becaues it's a Palomino. Best you can do is just start increasing the FSB and making sure it's stable. I'm not positive but you may be able to try to unlock it by connection a bridge. I had a 1800 pally and it never worked but you can try. Try searching around for how to do it.

Back